1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is a piezo like any other piezo

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Peredur, Dec 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Peredur

Peredur

Jul 7, 2002
    Wales
  2. Maple

Maple Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2016
    San Francisco Bay Area
    There are several factors that will affect pickup sound. The most dramatic one is position on the bass. Under bridge, in adjuster, under string or in wing - each of these spots will yield a different sound.

As for the piezo crystal -
    Generally, the signal out from one crystal or another will be similar. However, the dimensions will determine the signal strength and impedance.
    And the piezo has to be packaged in some sort of housing with wires - this introduces a mechanical component to the sound that might color it and will also determine the durability of the pickup

DoubleMIDI likes this.
  3. Peredur

Peredur

Jul 7, 2002
    Wales
    Thanks. I have a Full Circle on my DB and have had a Realist in the past, both of which are fine. I have had a piezo strip in another custom U bass which did not do it for me. I had a Harley Benton Uke bass which was ......not toneful, whereas the pickup on my Kala Ubass is makes a noise I like. I suppose I could spring for a Full Circle. I had not thought of that. Of perhaps a Realist cello pickup.

4. Maple

Maple Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2016
    San Francisco Bay Area
    If it's an acoustic instrument, you may also want to consider an Ischell contact mic. It might be best to find someone local you can borrow one from.

5. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I would not say that they are all similar. IME piezo pickup systems range from glorious (David Gage Realist, Fisman Full Circle, Ovation ABG) to nearly useless (Kramer Ferrington ABG, Fishman BP-100, Yamaha TRB-6P).
    It can get complicated and I wouldn't underestimate the importance of having a well-matched onboard active circuit.

6. Peredur

Peredur

Jul 7, 2002
    Wales
    I get the whole preamp thing and my guess is that is where the action is. The Gage and Full Circle will be under a whole load of pressure so that might account for why they work so well.