1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is A Power Brick Essentially the Same Thing As A 1spot?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Livewire, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Livewire

Livewire Yahtzeeee

Nov 13, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    ^^

If so, is there a benefit in using a power brick over a 1spot? Finally getting into effects and building a pedalboard. I have 3 right now but I plan on adding an overdrive and tuner pedal in the near future.

Thanks
    Joe

2. You can make a 1Spot work for you but a Power Brick is a better product because it provides two voltages, can handle more current, and is a bit tidier on the pedal board. I own a Brick and I'm happy with it. Before that, I used a Boss tuner pedal with a wall wart and ran my other pedals from the tuner. Before that I just used batteries.

If you're only starting out with pedals, I would suggest that you don't need anything but batteries until you figure out what your needs will be.

3. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Actually, the VS 1Spot can put out 1700mA versus the DC Brick's 1000mA, and the Dunlop unit actually only puts out 375mA if you're only using the 9v outputs, which most people will. The 1Spot doesn't take up any pedalboard space at all. You're right that it only does 9v, though, which means it can't power stuff like the new Markbass pedals, for example.

The major reason to go for a brick IMO would be if you find that you need isolated outputs to keep noise down. The ones with isolated outs are all about 10 times the price of the 1 Spot. So they can be a great buy once you have a lot of pedals and find that you're having noise issues with some of them, but I would recommend using a 1 Spot until you find that it doesn't work for you.

4. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    I didn't know the Brick had isolated outs. It seems it ranks low among the seasoned vets around here.

I'm an effects noob, but no way do I think you should start out with just batteries. You'll be changing 'em every day.

5. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    I don't think the Dunlop one does. In my second paragraph I used "brick" with a lowercase 'b' to denote the general concept of brick-shaped pedal power supplies.

I definitely agree to not bother with batteries. They are hugely wasteful, expensive, a pain, and not quieter than a decent power supply.

6. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    Okay, thanks. Gotcha.

7. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    The Dunlop Brick is not isolated. I personally would never buy the Dunlop Brick because why waste 100$ when you can save a bit more money and get a Voodoo Labs?

Critics might say, "Well, i only use 4 pedals and the Brick works for those." I could agree with that if you had 3 Boss pedals and a 18v pedal. But if all are just 9v, just go with a 1 spot then...The Dunlop Brick needs a huge Wall-wart to operate...Are you saving room? No..just get a 1Spot.

Now if you're cool enough and have more than 4 pedals, get a Voodoo Labs PP2+. You'll never know when you will need that 18V/24V option or the courtesy outlet. Even better, get a Voodoo Lab ISO if you only have 5 pedals or so. Isolated, can do multiple voltages, and can even power power-hungry pedals like the Eventide. Oh, it's cheaper than the PP2 as well.

/endthread.

8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    IMO the Dunlop Brick is the worst waste of money in the world of effects powering. It has none of the benefits of bricks with isolated outlets, and none of the benefits of compact/inexpensive daisy chains. Instead, it gives you the bulk, weight, and price of a brick, with the non-isolation problems of a daisy chain. Bad, dumb product.

9. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

The BBE SupaCharger would be the best deal as far as bricks go.

10. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    ^True. I wouldn't debunk that as a bad alternative to a Voodoo Lab.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i've run as many as 8 devices off a 1-spot, currently running 5. had noise problems with it only once combining an ebs microbass 2 and a zoom b2, but for some reason it never happened again, even in the same environment. i agree with conical...use the 1-spot until you have a problem. it's a pretty great product.

12. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    One Spot also now have a "power pump" attachment that isolates that output of the Daisy chain and can switch between 12v,18v and 24v IIRC :ninja:

13. i run 8 off a one spot and i've never had a noise issue. it's cheap, and good. probably cheaper than the cost of batteries over a year, too.

14. BruceBass3901

BruceBass3901

Oct 17, 2009
    Wickham, UK
    I made my own supply that has isolated outputs and I have had no problems with it. And it was about half the price of a T-Rex Fuel Tank Junior. I know that many people advise against 'playing' with mains voltages, and I completely understand why, but if you know what you are doing and do a thurough job, it is no problem.

15. This is what I've thought also, and especially for a smaller board (my PT Mini, for example).

And I was about to add something like 'the first time I get an 18V pedal, I'll buy a brick' when I read...
    ...which seems like a viable option, but does it lower the overall voltage output any if its using two leads to power one pedal?

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i would think that considering i've plugged an svt and a 1-spot into the same outlet before that any possible voltage drop would be moot.

17. I think he's talking about the Godlyke power pump. This takes one lead from a single one spot and turns it into one of the 3 voltages. Godlyke claims it isolates the new voltage from the old so you should be able to reverse the polarity also. This is very intriguing to me.