Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is a preamp necessary?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mark Wilson, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Hey guys. Here's the situation.

I have a big gig on Thursday. I need new P-bass pickups and i'm buying EMG P's on Tuesday. They're active.

My main concern is...Is a preamp absoutely necessary for active pickups? or can I play active pickups with just a battery?

Any input will help TONS.

Thanks,

-Mark

2. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    No. Just install them with the passive V/T pot set that comes with them.

3. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Okay. Cool. Thanks!
    How much extra would a preamp be? Approx.?

-Mark

4. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Dunno. I'm in Australia so prices are different here (ie lots more expensive) and I build all my own pre's anyway. Hunt around online for prices. Note too, that a std passive P only has two knobs, so to add a pre with tone controls will mean more holes in your PG or stacked knobs. Got a feeling few preamps will fit in a std P front routed cavity without more surgery.
    I personally like the sound of the Aguilar pre's.

5. J retro makes a Pre amp that will fit in a p-bass. But aguilar makes an outboard pre you just plug your bass into then a second cord into your amp. The DB-924 is the one. Check it out if you thinkyou need one then if you don't like it you can just unplug it, Or just use it for some somgs whatever you want and you don't have to modify your bass to use it. :cool: