Is a rap group a band?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rabid_granny, May 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I was reading in a local newspaper that the song "My Band" by D12 (w/ Eminem) is about the group dynamics between a superstar lead singer and the other groups members in the shadows. I thought Eminem was making fun of other rock bands - never considered D12 or any other rap group a band. I'm not even sure if they would consider themselves a band...(Public Enemy--a band???).

What do you think?
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    No, bands often support rap groups though.
  4. Go ahead and watch "Making the Band."

Makes me wonder about "boy bands" as well.
  5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Well, technically a band is just a group of people ;)

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I am suprised he even considers himself a singer.
  7. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    A traditional band I would say no. Technically speaking maybe yes. I would say a group would be more fitting. A group of lyricists maybe. Traditionally what we would consider a band contains muscians that play some sort of instruments. This style of music is lyricists with a supporting cast of DJ's.
  8. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Voice is an instrument.
  9. Yeah, that's one of the lines that threw me. He refers to himself as a lead singer so I thought it was spoofing rock bands.
  10. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Very true, if not the most difficult. But generally the reason this thread was started was kind of saying when the average person thinks of the term "band" generally the traditional instrument guitar,bass, drums come to mind. You can call rappers a band but they don't refer to themselves that way eithier.
  11. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I would say that "rap" groups such as the Beastie Boys could be considered a band because they actually Play Their Instruments. Same for the Roots and a ton of others I'm sure. No instruments = no band to me, although somebody like Bobby McFerrin might disagree.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I have heard rappers refer to themselfes more as "Artist" then "Musican"
  13. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Define "instruments."
  14. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Well, using the Beastie Boys as an example - they've been known to play their own guitars, basses and drums (maybe some keys too?) live. If I saw 5 guys standing on stage holding microphones I would tend to call it a group rather than a band - but that's just me.
  15. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I would call a group of rappers with their Djs or regular musicians who form a part of the group a band. No, they aren't a traditional band in the commonly understood context, but what else would they be...a choir? A quartet? An acapella group? A vocal group?

Actually, there are probably cogent arguments that rappers are not a band and equally compelling arguments that they are. I tend to think of them as a type of band. Consider the Black Eyed Peas...not "real" rappers, but close enough for me. I call them a band.

I'll stand by my opinion, but others are welcome to disagree.
  16. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    that would be my take as well...they're definately musicians but I hadn't ever heard a rap group referred to as a band.
  17. Sharp

Jan 27, 2002
    Artists Relations, KMI
    i think that you jump from being labeled a "band" when you choose to headline yourself alone. "The Roots" and "Jurassic 5" are bands just the same as "The Beatles" or "Modest Mouse" are, but "Eminem" is about a much a band as... say... "Jewel".

just my .02 though

18. Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    She has a backup band, which actually play instrments...she also plays guitar. I think that makes her more of a band than a guy who talks over a beat (yay stereotypes!).
  19. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I find that most rap "bands" are nothing more than one artist, backed by his entourage.

But who cares what they are called? If they are making music, it doesn't matter if they are called a group, accumulation, aggregation, assemblage, assembly, association, assortment, band, batch, battery, bevy, body, bunch, bundle, cartel, circle, class, clique, clot, club, clump, cluster, clutch, collection, combination, combine, company, conglomerate, congregation, coterie, covey, crew, crowd, faction, fit-out, formation, gang, gathering, grade, league, lot, mess, organization, pack, parcel, party, passel, platoon, pool, set, shooting match, society, sort, suite, syndicate, or troop. What you are suggesting is semantical BS.
  20. the x-ecutioners. i'd call that a band. but, they don't really rap. just scratch.

*waiting for the patton/x-ecutioners disc*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.