1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is a Roscoe WORTH IT?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by improvpwnd, May 4, 2006.

1. Some of you might know I have been GASing for a Roscoe for months... So, should I sell my 4 string EBMM Stingray (2005) to help pay for a Roscoe SKB-3006 right away:hyper: , or keep the Stingray..wait at least 6 months to save up...thennnn buy my Roscoe?:meh: If I get a Roscoe, will I even play my Stingray?

2. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

If you go from a four to a six, you may not play your MM again. But then again, maybe you will. Only you can answer that. I now have my old four and a five string fretless. I use my four a little now and again.

I may not be the right guy to give you advise though. I went from fours to a six and three years later sold the six so I can finance another five. Had I bought a five instead of the six, I'd still have it. And yes, my six I sold was a Roscoe, my five string fretless is a Roscoe and when I save enough for a new five fretted, it will be a Roscoe.

3. NO - then you'll be without a bass and won't be able to gig for money to get your Roscoe.

YES - saving is a good thing...then you won't worry about how you'll pay for it.

NO - but keep it in case you get a call to play in a dive with a stage the size of a postage stamp, where beer flies, dancers bump into you, and could knock your bass into a light fixture.

Experience is a hard teacher...

4. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I think the Roscoe Beck Fender Signature bass is awesome. Not very popular but very versatile and a good buy.

I think you should definitely keep the StingRay - you are talking about two completely different animals: 4- vs. 6-string, different sounds and feel.

When you buy a 5- or 6-string bass is always good to keep a 4-stringer around... when you switch back and forth, it helps you realize how good a 4-string is and it makes you feel stupid that you went and spent all that money in another bass.

It happened to me.

I would say, sell the StingRay and buy a 5-string Fender Roscoe, that way your are mid-way between a 4 and a 6 and the Roscoe will give you a StingRay-ish sound. :hyper:

5. ...methinks he doesn't quite have the full picture....

;)

My take, save up, we ain't goin' no where, and man, a Stingray is a GOOD thing to have 'round...

:)

6. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    i believe the original poster was talking about roscoe basses, not the fender roscoe beck model.:eyebrow:

i would keep the ray, its a quality instrument. no use in letting it go, because you will have two quality instruments if and when you get your roscoe.:)

7. pointbass

pointbass Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I have to agree with TB Player, saving up for the bass is the right route to go. Don't put yourself into debt and leave your self bass-less because you've got some seriously painful GAS :rollno:

But, when you're ready, Roscoe's are worth every penny you'll spend. Seriously high quality, well constructed and fantastic sounding basses. Just be sure that the string count is right for you before ordering .... too many guys get 6's and find that they just aren't comfortable with them, then end up selling them at a fairly hefty loss ....

Hmmm, come to think of it, yeah, get that 3006 and then sell it right away for cheap :ninja: That way me and Mike (TB Player) can beat each other to a bloody pulp trying to be the first to buy it from you .... :cool:

8. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Roscoes tend to be basses that you own for a lifetime. Six months is not much of wait compared to the years of joy a Roscoe will give you.

9. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    :spit::spit::spit:

10. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Well said! ;) Plus, the turnaround time on a custom order (if that's what you're thinking about) isn't unreasonably long at all. Use those extra few months to solidify exactly what you want.

11. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    I say maybe wait. In the 6 months it takes to save your money your interest may have moved elsewhere, or you may realise you never want to part with your stingray.

12. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Keep your Sterling and save up your cash. If you really like the bass you'll miss it. Never hurts to have a backup either. Roscoe's a great bass and IMO one of the best sounding basses built. That said you really should try and play one before you take the plunge just to be sure.

13. What're you whinin' about? You ain't even waitin' 6 months!

:smug:

14. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    If I had decided to buy a Roscoe (or any other high dollar boutique bass), there's no way in hell I'd liquidate a main gig bass to do it. Besides, I simply wouldnt take it to most gigs. It'd have to be the right gig, at the right venue, w/ the right crowd...

In truth, I cant imagine buying one, unless I had to scratch to replace it, if something horrible happened to it.

I mean, dont most of you keep yer nice stuff at home, & then have her beaters to take to gigs?

15. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I say save up and keep the Stingray. If you like Stingrays like I do, you will simply end up buying another one later anyway. That said, keep the one you have. Roscoes are great basses and Mr. Roscoe gives excellent service, of which I have personally benefitted. In fact, when I go for another high end/boutique bass again next year, Roscoe, along with Sadowsky and Ken Smith will be at the top of my list.:cool:

16. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I have a fretless and fretted hanewinckel 6 string basses. I also have an EB Stingray 4. I love the Hanewinckels and think they are the best basses I've every played.

However, whenever I play the EB, it just make me smile because it sounds so dang good.

17. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    :eek: :D

18. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    wait a few months and save,
    you don't need it now,
    but in 6 months you will

19. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Nope...not me. What's the point of having it if you can't enjoy it. I used to think that I should "save" the good stuff, keeping them squirreled away at home. If you have the ability to own nice gear, get out there and USE it! The fun in owning a Roscoe (or similar high-end, quality instrument) is playing it and using it. ;)

20. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    +1.

If I wanted some expensive decoration for the house, I'd avoid the argument and let my wife buy something pretty.

But I'm paying for an instrument, so I'm gonna play it!

Keith makes a beautiful instrument, but he doesn't make the necks uber-stiff, fretwork immaculate, pickups articulate, the B string authoritative, the playability effortless, and the tone unique just to have it sit in a house.