1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is a scarf joint weaker than a one piece neck?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by ChuckCorbis, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Question for the luthiers. I'm being told scarf joints are to be avoided when buying an Arch Top Jazz guitar. What's the deal?

2. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Where's the scarf joint located? Got pix?

3. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    All scarf joints aren't created equal...

4. Where the neck joins the body at the heel. It's hard to see but the neck is laminated to the heel instead of being one piece.

Attached Files:

5. Jake deVilliers

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    That's not a scarf joint, that's a stacked heel! Many guitars and basses use a stacked heel with no issues whatsoever.

The scarf joint is ofter found at the peghead end; classical guitars use a stacked heel and cut and rotate one thin board with a scarf joint at the peghead. Its very strong and makes better use of the available lumber. One piece guitar necks favour factory construction by semi-skilled labour but are very wasteful of materials... :(

6. Thanks Jake. Sorry for the ignorance. I think it looks like a " C ". I've seen it on Classical guitars and some Archtops. I couldn't get a shot that was back enough. So I don't know about this one. The 2nd picture shows one right? That's not this one though.

Attached Files:

7. Jake deVilliers

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC

Yup, that's a scarf joint. On guitars they're traditionally positioned right at the angle of the peghead, and the peghead veneer goes over top and adds more strength.

Something like this: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1190224

8. Just got it. The joint is visible on the back of the peghead where you said it might be. It's a gem. All maple though with rosewood fingerboard. It doesn't feed back much. Just a LAMINATE L5 copy by Washburn but it does what I want it to. Thanks for the help Jake.

9. Jake deVilliers

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Hey Chuck, no problem! Its nice to have a jazz guitar around the house. ;)