Is a Schecter Model T considered crappy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by superfly, Oct 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    Is a Schecter Model T Rob Deleo bass considered a cheap or crappy bass around here?
    The one I might look at is a couple yrs old, has the earlier emg p/j actives. About $300.
    Should I stay away from this, or is it a decent,usable, adjustable bass? :confused:
  2. I'd have to vote no in the crappy department, though since I on one, I am a bit biased. ;)

Here's my take on it:

Solid, HEAVY and built to last. I have no doubt you could beat a drunken heckler silly with this thing and still finish your set.

Neck is p bassish, wider and chunkier than than the neck on my Hamer Jazz, but easy to play.

Biggest complaint most have with it are the pups. with the strings that were on it when I bought it, it was really nasally, kind of piano like. I took the roundwounds off, put on a set of flats, farted around with the eq on my combo and found heaven. :hyper:

Hardware seems really nice(to me) and it stays in tune nicely, even after a couple of hours of banging out my worst Jamerson imitation on it.

Frets are what I think are jumbo, and finished well, no sharp ends or anything like that.

All in all, I like it. YMMV, of course.

Oh yeah- do a search... there are a few old threads about the Deleo with others' opinions.

Hope that helps.

3. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Never tried one but based on the other Scheter's I've played I'd say that it isn't crappy. And for that price it seems fairly good. If you can try out the bass before you buy it that would be great.

4. That's a good point. Finding one to play is a bit tough, at least here in the Phoenix area. There are a good half dozen places that carry the Schecter brand here, and I never did find one local. I wound buying one on the 'net from an out of state music shop.

If you can play the bass you're talking about, that should answer most, if not all questions you have about it.

And, of course, we're always here to offer our 'expert' opinions! :bag: :D

5. superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    Any other comments? thanks.
  6. Just wanna know if you bought the Model T . I have a early one and it is a killer bass. I still play my old Fenders as first choice, but my Model T has been a great bass. No "nasally" gripes like one guy mentioned. Lots of low end and great all around tone. Maybe my old one has different pickups, not certain. As for the neck, it is almost a dead ringer for my 62 P Bass. Not narrow at all. Built very well. Great parts all around. I am a happy Model T owner !!!!:hyper:
  7. Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    I doubt you'll get an answer. Homeboy hasn't visited these forums since 11/05.
  8. McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    if it sounds and feels good, its good
  9. lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I would say it is a "respected" bass, but nothing to write home about. Schecter do enjoy good reputation.

I had a Model T - It was excellent buy had terrible neck dive. Quality and frework were excellent.

It is sort of in the middle between a good American Fender and a really good Mexican Fender - sorta like a Japanese Fender.
  10. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    "Is a Schecter Model T considered crappy?"
    No. Schecter is about the best bang for the buck out there IMO.

As far as the neck dive...that all depends on the overall design of the bass. You have to decide which is more important to you, looks or balance. I really think too many people (not saying you lefty007!) make a big deal about neck dive. Either it works for you or doesn't. Simple as that. :)
  11. honeyculture

Jul 25, 2006
    try it out and see if you like it i think thats the best way because everybody is different.
  12. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've owned two Model T-5s. The 1st one was one of the best 5 string basses I've owned. I had to change the pickups but once I did....damn.....great sounding, feeling / playing bass. GREAT fingerstyle rock tone. Fit and finish were very impressive. The 2nd one I got from Ebay (carbon copy of my 1st one) but it came with a broken trussrod (yay for me :meh: ).
  13. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Im going to go against the grain here and play a bit of devils advocate.

Sorry, but its a $300 bass. You will not find a good bass in that price range. Sorry, but Im a firm believer in you get what you pay for.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

They are a great bass for the $.
  15. albass111

albass111 Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    That's terrible logic. A good product is a good product regardless of what it costs. I have one and it sees plenty of play considering I have a Sadowsky, a Lakland, American fender and mm's.

It's a good value bass, and it sounds good. The workmanship is WAY better than a USA fender off the rack at Guitar Center.

I hope your devils advocate was a bit rhetorical.
  16. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    From my experience having tried out several Schechter Diamond Series basses, the Model T is likely the only bass that didn't do much for me. Crappy?--no. However the few Model Ts I’ve tried did not seem nearly on par with other Schecters I’ve checked out like the various Stiletto models, the C, the CV models, etc. These other Schecters played really well and I dug the tone. They also had some serious band for the buck going for them as well. Perhaps the other Schecters are a bit flashy for my taste in appearance, but undeniable good stuff. Ironically, the Model T is actually more my speed in terms of appearance but the feel and tone really did nothing for me. They generally seemed like a so-so Fender-ish knock offs. With more happening pickups and a better setup, could it be better bass?--sure! But right off the rack, I thought it wasn't nearly as happening as the other Schechter models.

17. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    In general, I agree with you, however, this isn't always the case. Occasionally one can get a surprise gem on the cheap used. But as far as new basses go, consider TBC (the bass company). Yes they're made in China, but they are easily the best bang for buck going right now. Don’t let the Squire-like prices fool you, these are serious basses fit for serious gigging. This company is closing down their Chinese operation and going back to strictly domestic basses. This means two things, their new basses will be much more expensive however their current Chinese basses are a steal because they're trying to get rid of them. There's a huge thread on TB and all reviews for their various models have been excellent. Currently their priciest basses are $399 for their double humbucker 5 string with gig bag. Most of their 4 string models are $299 with a one single humbucker model 4 string going for a mere $249 with gig bag. Have a look. I feel pretty confident any of these axes would smoke that Model T.

18. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    There is no way in hell a $300 bass is going to be good compared to a USA Fender, Sadowsky, or anything that costs over a grand.

It might sound and play good for basses in that same price range, but in the grand scheme of things a $300 bass is a piece of crap. I havent stumbled across one yet that hasnt had serious issues over time. They dont last, they almost always have intonation problems, dead spots, nut issues, etc. Theres a reason they are so inexpensive. That reason is quality. So my logic isnt as terrable as you might think. Ive been around musical instruments for over 30 years and playing bass for over 20 of them now. I think Im quite logical and knowledable about what I said there, cause on the whole, its true, you get what you pay for.

Now for basses in that price range, they may be the cream of the crops for less expensive budget stuff. But I still stand by what I said, for $300 you arent going to find a good bass.
  19. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000

yeah, ill agree with that, you can sometimes find a good used one for a great price. I did. but im talking new stuff here.
  20. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    And what of the TBC basses? Agreed, obviously they're not in the league with a bass priced over a grand, however I'd put these puppies toe to toe with MIM Fenders and a good chunk of the Korean imports including the Model T. Believe me, this isn't crap. Check the TBC thread here on TB:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.