1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is a setup required?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by rockjazzbass, Mar 15, 2013.

1. rockjazzbass

rockjazzbass

Dec 9, 2011
    In a few days I will receive my new bass (Fender Jazz MIM). My question is; is it recomended to fit the bass because of the fly? Should I take it to the luthier?

2. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    What is the fly?

3. ubnomnar

ubnomnar Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    So Cal
    What is "fitted?"

If it's a new bass for you... a "set up" is always a good thing if you can't/don't do them yourself.

4. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    Only unless all the excess line has been pulled out by the bass while playing it!
    Angle on!

5. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    Take it to the pond!

6. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2008
    NY
    Wait until you get the bass in your hands and decide then what needs to be done.By "fit " i think you mean setup to your preferences, and by "the fly" i think you mean the the time in transit to you.Thta may have knocked to set up off some assuming it was set up to your liking when it was shipped to you.

7. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Now now guys, before you have too much fun, remember this is an international site and peoples of many languages visit here and use translators to communicate.

Maybe the fly is the strap? If so, no need to have it fitted by a luthier, should be adjustable...

8. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    :D Ooh, that's good pudge, never thought of that interpretation...

9. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    Hmmm...I really thought it had something to do with Fly fishing....Fit, Fly, Bass!! Anyone?

10. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    I wonder how many interpretations we can think of?

11. cvsurg

cvsurg Supporting Member

May 17, 2011
    FL
    I think it may have to do with going across the "pond".....

12. Hi.

A "foreigner" here, so I can somewhat relate to the problems and different ways how written english can be interpreted ;).

Flight?

The bass arrives on air freight?

I'd guessed the same.

If I read op correctly then the answer is both yes and no.

Yes: especially if the bass comes directly from the factory, there's a good chance it's not very playable out of the box.
    A thorough/full setup is required.

No: the reason for the setup requirement isn't the air freight.

Regards
    Sam

13. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

OP every bass needs a setup when coming from the factory unless the factory is in town. Even then, the factory setup will probably different than what you like.

If the bass had to fly anywhere, it needs a setup, pressure and weather changes cause wood to adjust.

14. rockjazzbass

rockjazzbass

Dec 9, 2011
    I'm so sorry... "fly" is not correct, I mean "flight". My bass comes from another country by plane and I wonder if is convenient to (fit) adjust or regulate it (know what I mean?) because of the trip.

Excuse my poor english... I can undertand what you write but when I write I make a lot of mistakes..

15. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    We understand. Play it, and see what you think of it. If it needs adjusting do it, otherwise rock on. I usually need an adjustment after an international flight (I do that in the closest airport bar!) but I think a bass wouldn't mind the trip so much ... :D

16. Just give the bass time to acclimatize itself to its new conditions then have a tech give it a proper setup. Heck, even if you bought the bass from across the street you'd still need the setup for the bass to make the best of its assets. Just tell the tech how you want it and he should be able to dial it in the way you like it.

17. rockjazzbass

rockjazzbass

Dec 9, 2011
    Thank you all for your answers! :)

18. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Don't worry, you are communicating much better in English than we would in your language - good luck!

19. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Last time I tried to use one of those translator things online was a disaster. Lol.

Setup for preferred action is normal for any new instrument. Adjsuting strap on bass for best to player position also.

20. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    Awww....I guess it's not about fly fishing in a foreign country.
    Well good luck to ya and FISH ON!!