Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is a video lots better than a book and CD?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by aabassist, Dec 8, 2002.

1. Is it better to buy a book or a video for learning techniques. they are the same title just one is the video version and one is the book version. Which is best to get.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It depends.

Videos are more suited for certain techniques that are hard to convey via text and photos, e.g. certain slap techniques (e.g. double thumbing, tapping tricks, etc.).
    A good example is Alexis Sklarevsk's The Slap Bass Program, the only video with good pedagogic value.

Other stuff, like harmony, sight-reading etc. are best learnt with a book and a teacher.

I tend to regard instructional videos more as <b>inspirational</b> videos.

3. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Video for me!

4. I recently bought one of Bert Casey's Intro books, with a CD and also bought his video. Watched the video once, and am using the CD along with the book. I found the CD better than the video for me. This $20.00 investment has helped me greatly. Finally got a handle on scales. And found that my approach notes sound much better when I stay within the notes of the key. I am not a beginner, but have had no type of formal lessons on the bass. This would also be great for someone just starting out. I would say that if you can master all his lessons and mastering playing along with the band on the CD on all his band cuts that you would have a great base for progressing as far as you want. My $.02 worth.

5. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    I'd say it depends on where you are and what you're trying to accomplish. Back when I was a total beginner, I tried the video route first with Mel Bay's "Anyone can play electric bass". It was ok for watching some simple techniques, but their explanation of what was taking place left a lot to be desired. I then tried the aforementioned Bert Casey's books. Bert's "Bass Guitar Primer" with CD was excellent. You quickly learn the concepts of root/5th alternating patterns, 12 bar blues, walking bass lines, and typical patterns in sequence. Playing along with the CD makes it a total blast. You can be playing along with a song the first time you open the book. Another good one is "Bass Basics Steps One and Two Combined." by Dale Titus and Albert Nigro, also with a CD. It goes over major and minor scale patterns and how to incorporate them into walking lines. Plus has an introduction to basic slap. Again, the CD to play along with makes it total fun. A great one for sight reading is Hal Leonard's "Fast Track Bass 1" which takes you step by step through sight reading, a little bit at a time. Again, along comes a CD to play along with which adds tons to the fun factor. For techniques like slapping, tapping and other specialized stuff however, there is nothing like watching it all on video. I gave up trying to balance all these methods however and am now just taking lessons. Much less stressful! :D