Is ad blocking stealing?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Oliphaunt, Jan 1, 2003.

1. Oliphaunt

May 30, 2002

I believe that it isn't, and choosing whether or not to view an ad is your decision. In fact, it's ridiculous to force someone to see something.

I wonder - are these the same guys who hated the VCR because it let you fast forward through commercials?
  2. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i blocked their ads

3. Oliphaunt

May 30, 2002
    Yeah, same. You use mozilla/phoenix?
  4. I don't mind the ads that are fairly non-obtrusive, just displayed on the page somewhere. I despise the ads that interfere with actual reading of the page, pop-ups/unders, etc.

The new cute thing they're trying is popups that will actually force you to go to their page even if you don't click on it. How lovely! Oh, and one company started using the Messenger service under XP that forces an administer note popup.

All that being said, I use ad-blocking right now. I feel bad about it because I am getting a lot of content for free, but when too many windows show up, I get annoyed and end up not going to a lot of sites. So in short, it's borderline wrong, but I can't stop doing it.

Oh, and check out this Slashdot story about millionare spammer Alan Ralsky. It's pretty funny :)
  5. Oliphaunt

May 30, 2002
    The thing is, I don't feel bad because I never click on the ads anyway.
  6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Screw 'em. You can't make me read an ad in a magazine, you can't make me watch a commercial on television--why should you be able to force me to watch one online?

How about the theft of my time and resources by trying to force me to look at something I have no interest in?

If some company tells me I can't use their website because I block their ads, well, that's fine with me. I'll just go to one of their competitors. Doesn't bother me one little teeny tiny bit.
  7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  8. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i feel that pop-ups and the like are solicitation....and are darn annoying. peddlers...
  9. I don't think that is stealing, to suggest it is is ludicrous. What are you stealing?

Another one I like, stealing satelite signals. Take some of the American satelites. They are supposedly designed only to broadcast to the US. You can't even order them in Canada if you want to pay for it. You can easily receive and watch them though, like Direct TV, I believe. In fact, if you have a large enough dish, about 2m, you can get the PPV channels for free. Is it stealing? Well, that is kinda grey. You can't pay for it. The way I see it, they shoot them into my yard, so I am monitoring them.;) They will sell you the dish and receiver, but they won't subscribe you to the service.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

How does that work?
  11. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

With so, so, so many channels....

...It Takes Twice as Long to Find Out There's Nothing On!
  12. It seems that the PPV channels have a weaker channel strength, and thus a larger cross section is needed to get a sufficient signal to produce an image. Some channels work on the 1m dishes, but it seems that they all do on the 1.8m dishes. Factor in that the 1.8m dish is $1500. If you can get the PPV signal, there is no charge, you aren't registered with them, because they won't. I don't know that much about the intricate details, I don't have one at school, which is where I am 99% of the time.

13. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida

Yeah, I got one of those on my dad's laptop once. I was hoping it was my lucky day and I was actually going to get some from a fresh 18 year old female. That's what the ad said if I clicked the link. :rolleyes:
  14. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    And if you use your remote to change the channel during TV commercials does that mean you are "stealing" the TV show?
  15. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    ha, reading this isn't surprising after i spent an hour today pulling the adware and spyware off THAT CHARTER INSTALLED ON SOMEONES COMPUTER!!!

cleverly disguised as "Charter Support Agent" it was slowing down this guys computer to complete lockup. had broadjump and adware, plus spyware commercial site tracking, bandwidth limiting, and the ability for them to go into your computer and change any configuration setting they want.

apparently @home and AT&T do similar things.

reminder - AdAware is your friend. everyone should have it on their computer and run it whenever they do virus scans.
  16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

So good it needed to be said again!!!