Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

is ampeg 3-pro ok at 2.6 ohms?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bigBbass451, Sep 7, 2004.

1. bigBbass451

bigBbass451

Apr 9, 2004
    is ampeg 3-pro ok at 2.6 ohms?

2. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    RMS Power Output (4 Ohms): 450 Watts

im not sure how good it would work with anything lower, but usually you should not go any lower then what they say to, it may affect the amp in ways you wont like. :crying:

3. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I don't think its a matter of working well or not... It's a matter of frying your amp or not. Don't run it lower than 4ohms.

4. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    From Ampeg Owner's Manual for a 3Pro:

"Always use at or above the rated load."

It's not rated below 4 Ohms. If you mess it up running below it won't be covered by the warranty.

5. There is a good chance something bad could happen.

Email someone at ampeg, and they'll tell you how bad the amp will blow up.

6. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis

It is only designed to operate down to 4 ohms. 2.6 is lower than 4, so no, it will not be OK at 2.6 ohms.

At the risk of being thought a jerk, may I suggest a quick read through the manual?

7. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Thing is, this info is available at the Ampeg website... I looked it up, just because someone asked. Why don't people research thier own question & answers?

8. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    I wouldn't advise running the 3pro any lower than 4 ohms. I know a guy who did this for a while and finally, his 3pro caught on fire, literally.

9. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    What are you trying to do? Run a 4 AND 2 ohm cab together?? :mad:

10. bigBbass451

bigBbass451

Apr 9, 2004
    ok thanks everyone for the input. i wanted to run a 4 ohm and an 8 ohm cab together. thanks for all the help. sorry if i'm being a "jerk"

11. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    if im buying something new. im checking on sites, ratings charts, forums, and all sorts of sh*t before i even come close to going to the store.

12. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    At the risk of being called a jerk for defending this guy, sometimes the manual just states the CYA method.

I had a Bassman 400 that you could run all day at 2.6 ohms, but the manual stated that 4 was the min.

Back to your regularly scheduled JRTFMS.

Lync (jerk) :D

13. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    That is possible. What the ratings (from a reputable company) mean is that you can run as stated with normal "margins" for hot weather, lower-than-expected speaker impedance, parts variations, etc, etc, etc, no problem.

Since nobody knows *exactly* where the "margin" ends for a particular individual unit, the spec *should* be short of the absolute limit. What we DO know is that all units will run the way we say.

I would not call it a "CYA" spec. If we could guarantee the unit at 2 ohms (and resulting higher power), we would, be sure of that. We could have designed it for 2 ohms, or a half ohm, for that matter. But it is designed for 4 ohms, and that is what it will work at.

What you do when you run below spec impedance, is to use up the margins. We don't know exactly how much margin you use up, due to uncertainties.

Sometimes you are OK, sometimes you aren't. Blame Heisenberg......

Bottom line is that we (any reputable manufacturer) guarantee it will work within our limits.

Go outside of the limits, and we won't guarantee it will work as expected.

Cheaper gear tends to run closer to the limit, or maybe beyond it, when used at "spec" conditions.

14. What "works" and what it will handle long term is another story. Think of it like a car and towing capacity. If your car is rated to tow 2000 but your boat weighs 3000, you can tow the thing for a while before your transmission or suspension or your engine fries. Just because it's over the rated limit doesn't mean it'll blow as soon as power is applied, just that it's not designed to go to those places and it's not a good idea to take it to those places.