1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is an active bass a plus

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fireglide93, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Fireglide93

Fireglide93

Mar 20, 2016
    I started playing on a squire passive bass. Since then (2.5 yrs) I have had 2 active 5 string basses, both Ibanez. A BTB575FM and currently BTB305FMTK. My setup at my church is currently bass>sansamp programmable DI or Eden WTDI preamp>mixer/board via xlr. I've also used the same into my amp and playing from the amp or the amp's line out. I was just wondering my sound level fluctuates depending on the sound guy and other factors. I was just thinking is an active bass a positive thing? I know there are differing opinions. Sometimes when I'm louder than I want to be (system is hot) or I feel turned down ( I call it being choked off) I wonder if a passive bass would be any different (consistent)?

2. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    :meh: It's a tool like another bass.
    Working on your sound is always work but the bass should not have
    to be a factor for any live situation.

3. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Those issues you describe sound like issues with the person running sound, not bass or DI issues. I've played with active and passive basses and volume isn't an issue because of the bass ever.

mech likes this.