Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is an ampeg 410HLF cab enough?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metalloid, Mar 2, 2001.

1. metalloid

metalloid Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2001
    DC
    I was originally looking to get a normal 4 x10 (non ported cab) plus a 1x15 later on. I thought the 410HLF cab was the same thing, but only nicer. Obviosly its a 400W 4 ohm vs 200W 8 Ohm.

(FYI: I am using the B2-R head, 350W, 4 ohm min)

Since I got such a good deal on the cab ($200 off), I would like to be able to keep it without upgrading.

Does it have enough balance and power to hold its own with a band?

Would it be worth the $400 extra to return it and get the 4x10 and a 1x15?

I figured it would have a little more balls, but hey, $400 is alot!

I use the limiter on the head, and when I turn the amp up a little, it limits the signal when I slap the low B. I don't want to have to have some huge clipping going on while I am playing with it live...

please let me know your thoughts-

thanks

2. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    The 4x10 HLF will be pleanty to do day to day gigging with. It handles up to 400 watts, which is usually more than enough power. It is just tuned lower to better accomodate 5 stringers, gets a bit deeper sound. I currently use a single Carvin 4x10 cab, and its more than enough for every gig and rehersal I go to. A 1x15 will add more low end, and over all give you a more balanced sound, and also help save the life of your 10's by pulling alot of those low frequencies out of them. But they arent really a necessity. You should be fine with just the HLF as a stand alone unit.

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The 410 HLF is fine. It has alot of power & will handle any medium sized gig. Also, if you're gonna play a larger venue, the bass usually goes through a DI box or your cab is miked. So I'd say stay w/the HLF!!!

4. metalloid

Feb 2, 2001
    DC
    Thanks!

5. I have the Ampeg 410-HLF and I couldnt be any happier, even though mine is the BSE model. It was only $400 so I couldnt pass it up (brand new). I have it hooked up to my peavy combo 115, but I am going to sell it and buy an Ampeg SVT3-pro. I like the sound of the cab, but hate carrying both of them around. With the SVT3-pro I will have enough headroom to keep up with my band. I dont think a 15 is neccessary. My low b comes through just fine.

6. I use an Ampeg SVT-410HLF with an older Ampeg SVT-III head (forerunner of the newer SVT-3Pro). I usually run my Jazz-V through it and it works real fine, indoors and out. I also have Ampeg SVT-210 and 115 cabs, but I use the 410 more often. When I need extra power I team all three cabs ups and use a Peavey Firebass 700 II. You'll get great service out of this cab. Enjoy it.

7. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    I have the 410HLF and love it. I am running it w/ Yorkville 400 Bassmaster head w/ some effects, and a MIA P and MIM J.

Kicks some serious arse, IMO.

I gig twice a month, ranging from small rooms, live off the floor, to big DI'd rooms. This rig rocks, again IMO.

$400 USD is a great deal, too.

8. metalloid

Feb 2, 2001
    DC
    jim:

I have the BSE model too. I went in liking the look of it better than the SVT, but I was open to anything.

They said I would be better off with the SVT. They hooked me up to it, and it sounded like crap. I don't know, maybe the tweeter was not on, or high enough.

I then played into the BSE, and it had awesome snap and punch.

I love it to death, just when I thought about future upgrades, I became worried.

I will definetly keep the BSE410HLF, and if I ever need more I will get the B4 or SVT 4 pro head, with another 4 ohm cab.

Thanks for all the info

Talk to you later-