Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is an Avatar 112 alone enough for small gigs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tekhna, Dec 27, 2004.

1. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    Just curious. I am debating a 210, a 112 and a 212, but this needs to be able to fit in a dorm room, which is why the 112 is winning out, but I am doing small gigs and loud practices. Think it will hold out?

2. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    I don't have any direct experience with the avatar 112 but I myself use the Aguilar GS 112 and have had no problems either in practice or performance situations. If your band is crazy loud you might need more than a single 12 cabinet but under *normal* decibel situations I've never had any trouble with a single 12". YMMV.

3. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004

That is sort of what I figured. Did you like the tone that you got out of the single 12?
    I am thinking of pairing this with the MAG300H, but I am also wondering if it makes sense to get the 4 ohms to take advantage of the full 300 watts, or to get the 8 ohms and have it run at less wattage now due to the ohmage, buthave room to expand in the future.

4. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I recently posted a thread regarding my new Yamaha bbt500h. It's good for 500 watts @ 2 ohms. I have yet to make my cabinet choice but was considering the gs112 (8ohm) or a EAwizzy112(4ohm).Like maybe a pair of either. would 2 gs112's be better than 1 wizzy. I'm asking cause bass central has a couple used ones for $300 each and a new wizzy is $500+ ea.

5. I think either would be good. A well designed 112 should be fine if given healthy power. It really just has to keep up with an unmiked drum set. You can get everyone else to turn down and use PA support.

I personally would go for the whizzies since I dig the fact that they use transmission lines, is voiced for warmth and is only 29 lbs. That whizzie has a 103 db sensitivity rating, which means it is going to be a lot louder than it looks.

If you like bright, metallic sounding bass sound, then I would get the something with a dedicated tweeter. I hear great things about the aggies but I would not mix and match.

Two aggies on that Yamama would give it 2 ohms. But I am curious how that amp sounds. You must be too.

6. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    2 Gs112 would be 4 ohms. That was what my inquiery was referring to, 1 4 ohm wizzy to 2 8ohm(4ohm) Gs's. I was thinking of speaker surface area vs. efficiency and the xtra 100$. Don't mean to hijack this thread :bag: , just looking at feedback on GS112's myself before I make my own purchase

7. sorry dude. though the aggies were 4 ohm. But to tie it in to the thread. If you use a single cab, then get a 4 ohm.

8. :hyper: ROFLMAO! :hyper:

9. I own both an Avatar 1x12 and a 2x10. The cabs are the same size, although the 2x10 is heavier. The 12 gets more bottom and sounds warmer. The 10s are edgier, with more presence, making them easier to hear up close. My drummer says the 12 sounds "sweeter", but he can hear the dynamics of my playing better with the 10s. I've gigged with the 12 by itself several times, both with and without PA support. I haven't gigged with the 2x10 by itself yet, but I will soon.

I have 4 ohm cabs, because I'm using a pre/power rig that puts out 450 watts/side at 4 ohms. If I were buying that Ashdown, I'd get an 8 ohm cab. The volume difference won't be that much and you'd be able to add another cab down the road.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I've got a SB112 on the way, and I am very excited. It will be plenty for my coffee house jazz gig, I know it will.

-Mike

11. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004

Is there any kind of wait, or was it the next day it shipped kind of thing? I think I want to try the Dr. Bass cabs, but I keep hearing mention of a few month wait, which I just don't have.

12. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    Do you use 5 strings, and if so did you have a preference for one or the other? I have heard the 12s go well with 5 strings.

13. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

I've gigged a couple of times wiht my SB112, and it did just fine. Also, I did a bunch of LOUD rehearsals with just a 4-ohm SB112 and an SWR Bass 350. Kept up pretty well with "Tommy Lee wann-be".

For smaller gigs or not-so-loud blues/country/classic rock, I think it would probably do just fine. I did use a stand to get it off the floor and aimed at my head, not knees, however.

FWIW, 5-strings only!

dcr

14. I play fours and fives. The 12 handles the 5-string's low notes better.

15. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    I have the Avatar CB112 and find it does a great job with my GK 700RB. Loud and solid, clear and good bottom end. I've used that rig at quite a few small gigs no problem, mostly with a EUB. Mine's 4 ohms...got it for gigs where there's a need for a compact rig.

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA

I got mine used. However, I spoke with Dave from Avatar today, and he told me he has the SB112's in the shop ready to ship out. I think I will buy a second one in a couple weeks.

Dave is a class act, and treats people with the utmost respect.

-Mike

17. I've purchased 3 Avatars; all were shipped the same day I ordered them.

18. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    The SB-112 will keep up with a full band with reasonable gear. IF you're fighting two full Marshall 100W stacks, you'll have problems, but then no one should be using amps that loud outside of coliseums anyway.

My 8 ohm SB-112 matches the level of a loud acoustic drum kit with the QSC PLX 1602 volume set at 9:00 (bridged mono). I've not run it at full volume, because I think it would crack my ceiling, but I've run it at 2:00 and it was shockingly loud and the Avatar didn't fart out.

19. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    I just went for it and ordered the B212 instead. I am sure the 112 would have been just fine, but I am sure at some point I will want the added projection and power of the 212, and so I decided it was just easiest to spend the extra 80 dollars now and just have it over and done with. I am having a few second thoughts due simply to the weight of the 212 versus 112 (30 pounds) but I am sure it will be fine.

20. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    You'll be real happy with the 212...it only takes a little bit more floor space but will put out a lot more sound. Let us know how it works out.

Maybe order the screw-on wheels...I have a set on my goliath II 410 and it's very handy.