1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is an Electronic Musician a Musician?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by fisticuffs, Oct 7, 2013.

1. fisticuffs

fisticuffs

May 3, 2011
    Madison, WI
    Because I think people get them confused with DJ's an awful lot and per Talkbass DJ's are not.

2. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    Well your thread name answers your question in a way.
    The answer is yes in most cases when the creativity is there in the playing or production.

We had the same discussion back in the mid 70s with Kraftwerk, who were a progressive sort of rock band before they embraced electronics to create music, and forged the way for many artists within the new genre of electronica.

If you look at dance groups like Stomp, they use sounds/props etc to create music for example, much in the same way that Fred Astaire could create music in his dancing.

Again you may find detractors but....back in about 1973/74 it was a very very emotive subject as it was new and i would say that wrongly it came down on the side that "they were not real musicians creating real music" in the circles i moved in, but i would find it hard to believe todays world.

3. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    Is an electronic dog a dog?

No.

4. geddy402

geddy402

Jul 20, 2012
    What if you play electric bass?:D

5. Is an electric guitar a guitar?
    Is an electric bass a bass?

6. Lets see......

Yes.

7. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    Hmm..but it actually is a dog..hence the name..but an electronic one.
    like an electronic drum set is a drum set..an electronic one.

As far as electronic musician..I guess so..if their doing "musical" things..be it tones or just drummy bangy sounds..maybe. kinda like that friends episode when ross played that keyboard. .friggin hilarious. .thi I wldnt call him a musician..

8. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    Unless it eats other dogs' faeces I will remain a traditionalist. Likewise with electronic musicians.

9. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    Isn't being an electronic musician like using an electric can opener. I mean, you only have to push a button to get your beans.

10. fisticuffs

fisticuffs

May 3, 2011
    Madison, WI
    You should try it sometime. it takes a lot more than pushing a button. There's as much prep as any rock band that goes into it and you can certainly have a lot going on in a live situation complete with improvisation. One of the best DJ's I now is also one of the best drummers I know. He has a punk rock album out he did all the music for, he does live sets on drums with a DJ, does his own DJ sets with turntables analog synths, mooogerfoogers etc. and plays in a tradition jazz combo.

11. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    Questions like this one are a great way to pinpoint each TB'er's place on the Bell Curve.

Musicians are musicians regardless of their instrument. Saying that it only takes pushing a button is like saying it only takes plucking a string.

12. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    Don't worry, I like all kinds of music. It was a joke pointed at some people in the "Is a DJ a Musician?" thread.

I'm guessing topo morto is doing the same thing, as he had a similar stance to me in the DJ thread.

13. You could design one that does that...
    Besides, my dog only rolls in feces, but never eats it. Is my dog a dog?

14. fisticuffs

fisticuffs

May 3, 2011
    Madison, WI
    I'd buy one. We are talking about a Roomba-like pooper scooper in the shape of a dog right? Will post my Kickstarter campaign shortly.

15. I produce electronic music, and, no, I may not play every single part of the song live, but I take the time to craft each sound and the placement of each note carefully, and I play most of the parts into the computer, rather than clicking and dragging. You can put a label on it if you please, call me a musician or not, whatever floats your boat. I'm still making real music that means a lot to me. :)

16. macrocheesium

macrocheesium

Sep 12, 2012
    Absolutely. If you write music, that makes you a musician regardless of if you can play it or not. In a lot of ways I think it's harder than writing non-electronic music. There you can just decide what you want to play and play it... with electronic music you have to drag each note into place, with can take a painstakingly long amount of time for complex music.

Unless, of course, you're able to play it out on the keyboard. In that case the answer is already clear.

17. you have my support!!! ;)

18. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    Even when I hear dubstep and glitch it's obvious to me tat it takes a special talent to pick which samples to use...they do indeed contribute to a tone color...one can't just throw ANY random sounds into the computer and expect it to be good.

19. Batman!

Batman!

Oct 29, 2004
    Ok, I'll bite.

When most people think of a DJ, they think of someone who programs a radio station playlist or 'spins' an iTunes playlist at a wedding.

I think the confusion is where producers use a DJ moniker or use turntable techniques to create music. If said producer plays his/her music in a live setting without producing it on the spot, well, maybe they're a DJ after all. However, if they create music in any capacity, it's safe to say that they're a musician.

20. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Seeing as though almost all the music we play is played through electric instruments and recorded with electronic technology. I would say we are all electronic musicians in a way.