1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

is an old brass door hinge the new universal Fathead?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Bass V, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I'm determined to chase the classic dead spot away from my basses and getting original Fatheads is nye impossible while totally so in my headstock shapes, sooo... my old idea resurfaced today while searching CL and finding a cache of brass hinges waiting to be parted and screwed snugly next to many a row of tuners. some look to be billet vs cast, nothing of bell quality no doubt but, what is the tb court of opinion here?
    I can live with the backside scars if there's no change for the better, a little sacrifice is easy in such a pursuit, looks and the weight are insignificant if this proves viable. is there any chance?

2. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    lowplaces likes this.
  3. Scoops

Scoops Why do we use base 10 when we only have 8 fingers Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    I am me
  4. fakeneckplate'65

fakeneckplate'65 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2014
    Columbus, OH
    I suppose many or all of my basses have this alleged dead spot. I wouldn't know because I don't allow my strings to sustain for that long @ that particular position on the fretboard?

I guess maybe I'm trying to say that perhaps, you're making a mountain out of a C, C#, D on the G string, mole-hill?

Lownote38 and bolophonic like this.
  5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i gotta go with fakeneckplate'65 's sentiment: forget about it! i admit: that's easy for me to say...i have no idea what you're dealing with. some dead spots are deal killers.

good luck with your project. :thumbsup:

bolophonic likes this.
  6. Ok, a couple of things...

1. IMHO, anything that "adds weight" to a headstock really isn't all that great. But let's put that to one side.
    2. The best way to get rid of the "Fender deadspots" is cut the headstock off... seriously. Philip Kubicki discovered this. (edit: it was actually Gene Fields)
    3. It's not about the grade of brass or anything else, you're just adding weight.
    4. The $1 G clamp is as good as the "fatfinger". Ie. not.

So, if you must add weight, check this...

Dead spot removal

BTW, I would have thought lead fishing weights and a little epoxy would be just as effective and easier.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    saltydude and Bass V like this.
  7. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've been all over that thread and it's so hit or miss that I figured the simplest method would be as good as any, it is a deal killer to have dead spots on these basses and they're otherwise too good to toss off, the weight is no issue. I like the FatFinger theory but it looks too big and dumb, while a little C clamp might actually be the divining rod of finding the sweet spot. the lead weights was my alt theory on the titanium too!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    reverendrally likes this.
  8. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Yes but this was coupled with the addition of a 37 piece (!) laminated neck which, per claims, provided the desired stiffness while raising / changing the resonate frequency. I always wanted to ask Phil if he had ever trial'd the Ex Factor platform with a single-piece maple neck a la the Key Factor series.

Riis

9. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

It’s your bass friend, bolt any piece of junk on there you want.

The answer to the question in the title is an absolute NO! Often people around here say there are no ————— questions. Not so sure anymore.

10. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    it's what's become my new sacrificial lamb / mod / experimental $120 bass with possible truss rod issues, potentially a great bass which deserves some attention in a problem area which many of us face, if the Fathead n Fingers work then why shouldn't this? and if it does improve the negative at no cost thus salvaging a worthy bass or more and maybe helps others then 2018 will be even better, right?
    now, should the hinge be barrel up and along the back gears or down so I can hang more weights? ;)

11. I've experimented at times with bolt -on clamps. (So if it didn't work I could take them off).

Also experimented with bolting pieces of flat metal to the body etc. etc.

Also experimented with putting wide metal washers under the front of the tuning post (when I could get away with it...some post don't allow that).

To be honest I wasn't looking to fix dead spots , it was more about changing tone.

However...in all cases I noticed varying differences in tone no matter how miniscule.

And I also noticed that it elevated the general volume of certain notes at general places AT TIMES. Repeat:- AT TIMES..

So it's a crap shoot as to what results you'll get...and it's best to make an add-on in such a way at first that it can be removed if it does nothing.

Good luck with your experimenting..

Bass V likes this.
  12. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Edit. This is a great plan.

Bass V likes this.
  13. First a retraction. Gene Fields invented the first headless bass in 1975. Philip Kubicki wrote about it. Sorry for the mistake. Here's Kubicki describing it...

Fender Headless Bass

I don't see any comment about a 37 piece laminate neck there though. However the bass was neck through interestingly.

@96tbird - it's all beer and skittles.

Bass V likes this.
  14. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    thanx, I figured the humor, absurdity, and irony was obvious, but even if it means this venture is pure folly I simply want the scoop, I have always wanted to know how weight and especially brass can benefit a guitar and I believe it can, as have others. indeed, it's a total crapshoot, every circumstance is different so it's a fluid calculation each time, if the hinge fails I may inlay a brass nut blank or two into the neck at the problem spots and test that suspicion. there's no real loss incurred in trying a few methods and there may be real discoveries, I just want to perfect good players and save these basses from losing their necks.

15. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    We're on the same page. I was spec'ing Phil Kubicki's take on the headless bass, the Ex Factor, which was an evolutionary step upward. In all fairness, it did / does have mass beyond the nut...a faux headstock, so to speak...but no headstock tuners. The Ex Factor also has a 37 piece laminate neck. Thanks for the link!

Riis

reverendrally likes this.
  16. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    You could try a brass not if you like too.

17. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    hmmm, just as I suspected... when I went from dropped D to DGCF the dead spots on the former G virtually vanished and boy does this old Cort (or these mutt strings) love this detuning, Whipping Post McBerry just jumped out in full glory, looks like I've found the sweet spot for this bass without messing with her much.
    so, this adds fuel to the dead spot conundrum and what creates, eliminates, or moves them. I didn't have a notable issue on at least the Cort until I dropped the D, seems this bass just didn't like it and now it's really happy again. ...for now.