Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is an RMX 850 as loud as the GK1001?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wes Whitmore, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Fellas,
    I remember reading some posts on here that amp watts are not the same as head watts, which makes no sense to me. If this is true though, I need to know for sure.
    I am going to be buying an amp for my main rig that I have been piecing together (RBI, Shure wireless, rack surgestrip, Korg 1000 tuner, and amp), which will be a toggle between

System A) 2x10 avatar + big ben 18,
    or
    system B) one or two acme B2s.

I want one amp to be able to run either systems well. Weight isn't an issue because this is the big rig. My small rig is a GK1001RB combo with a 2x10 cab.
    I was looking at the RMX 850 or 1450 as a good cheap solution. I have a GK1001 right now, and it is rated at 540 watts at 4 ohms. Will the 850 get the job done? It just needs to be as loud as the GK head is. I actually have system A now, and B will be coming down the line soon starting with a single B2.
    Thanks,
    Wes

2. The 850 will provide more power than the GK and will be as loud or a bit louder.

Planning for Acme cabs adds more variables to the equation. Note that if you are planning to use them for a "big" (loud) rig, you will need at least two. Although they sound great with lower power, to get the most out of the cabs (and provide headroom), the general rule of thumb is twice the rated power or 700 watts per 2X10. The RMX1450 will do that in bridged mode (if you go with 8ohm cabs). The RMX1450 runs about $100 more than the RMX850 and will be worth the investment with the Acmes.

3. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    $400 is fine if it will work. It's not that much for an amp, that is for sure.
    Wes

4. There's a couple of almost brand new 1450s on EBAY right now for about the price of the 850. Since the QSC warranty is transferable, something to consider if money is tight.

EBAY search for QSC RMX 1450

5. ustillflyin

ustillflyin Guest

Oct 14, 2002
    Southeast MI.
    My current rig is a get this...
    A GK1001rb/210 combo (for smaller gigs)
    and for the bigger gigs (or outdoors) I stack my
    GK onto an RMX 850 (bridged mono) driving a
    Peavey 115 (with the 700 watt Black widow speaker)
    and even outside that set-up has really good
    chest thumping lows.
    This rig is mostly too much for any room of 500
    or less, but I like it for the big stuff.
    Plus I'm fighting (3) three Marshall half stacks.
    Those damn guitarists anyway.

Well, It least I like it.

6. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    500 people is bigger than I will ever play, and our band is pretty quiet. I only want the 850 amp because I want to keep the GK in the combo so I don't have to get out the screwdriver. Volume isn't really ever an issue since we have PA (1200W dual 18s).
    Wes

7. ustillflyin

ustillflyin Guest

Oct 14, 2002
    Southeast MI.
    I thought I'd never play for that many people either. Then last summer we did a "Biker Sunday" at a local church and they estimate that we had between 800 to 950 people there.
    I figured we'd be lucky if we could get 200 to show up.
    My point is you never know for sure where you'll end up.

P.S. we use a PA also approx. 1000 watts.

8. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I guess you are right, and if I want a B2, I need the power. I also need to take back my rotoX short case for a longer one before my month is over.
    Wes

9. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Is there an amp out there somewhere that is less than 10.5" deep? It is what will fit in my SKB. I would really prefer 1 rackspace, but that isn't vital. the Gk fits there, but like I said before, I want to keep it in the combo.

10. I know of a couple of 2 space amps that will go into the X-Rack, both are thousand watters (bridged) which is under our goal of 700 watts per B2. The Carvin DCM 1000 is a bit light in power to run two B2s (I've read of an Acme 4 ohm 4X10 shutting one down). It also needs a little shimming to fit the X-rack. The EA 800 (a full fledged bass head with preamp and power amp combined) claims large reserves of power, so may be a good choice. You would need to go with 4 ohm cabs to get the most out of the EA. An exceptional bass amp with a great rep, the EA is priced over $1K, street.

There are also a couple of single space amps (Peavey DPC-1400 and Stewart World 1.2) that are close or meet the power you are looking for. They are both over 15 inches in depth and the Stewart requires two rack spaces in order for it to get ventilation. Jokerjkny has both of these amps and runs Acme cabs, maybe he can chime in.

11. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    But the Carvin will run a single B2, right?

I used to live in the Carvin forum, and I remember reading about the shutdown. I can't remember if 1 would power a single B2 though. Also, there are more powerful amps there that are less than 10.5" deep, but Acme cabs seem to cause fits on all of them.

I use in ears to monitor everything, but I need to have a cab on stage for feeling, and as a source of micing. I also run out of a sansamp DI.

Wes

12. Yep, the DCM1000 will run a single B2 just fine. I have that setup with the DCM in an Xrack (I trimmed 1/4" off the binding post knobs) and a single 4 ohm B2.

[​IMG]

On a reasonably quiet stage (100-110db) I run just my SWR Studio 220 with it. On stages where it can get louder the Carvin gives me an extra 5-6 dB and headroom for the lows. You can really feel it. Depending on the stage layout I use it like a side fill or put it on a little ultimate amp stand and tilt it back at the front of the stage.

13. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I just got off of the phone with my guitar playe r who is near hollywood for some training. I think I might send him over to Carvin and see what they have lying around, and bring it back on the plane. Saves some money on shipping!

I started doing some research on Carvin after you recommended them. The R1001 looks promising too. Any thoughts on that one? Also, It looks like a speakon connection is now stardard on the DCM1000, which is what my cabs use. I dont think I will have to modify anything.
    Thanks,
    Wes

14. Don't know anything about the RL1001 except what I've read here .

Note that with just a power amp and the Acme being essentially flat, you might need more EQ ability to get your sound than what the RBI supplies. Of course, if you like the sound of your bass as it is, you might not need much EQ.

15. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    The EQ on the R1001 is pretty broad though. Only one slider below 100 Hz. If I really needed EQ, it would be better off to get a separate unit and run it with a 1000 or 1500.
    Wes