Is an SVT7 Pro worth the price of a new main board?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bumperbass, Oct 6, 2017.

1. bumperbass

bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    I have an opportunity to get an almost free ($50) SVT7 Pro. It looks new. I looked inside and she's pretty immaculate. Owner said he only had it 8 months or so and has had it un-fixed since 2013 or 2014 (I don't remember exactly.) I checked the revision number on it and it's A00. It's no wonder it blew up. I did my homework searching the problems this amp had. An online retailer has a main board for about $225, version Hxx. IMO, an SVT7 Pro is easily worth $225, but:
    What's your opinion? Should I be OK with a revision Hxx board or is this amp still a lemon, which is my main concern?

2. bumperbass

bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    Anybody? JimmyM, this is am Ampeg question. lol

3. bumperbass

bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    Oh, and does anybody know which chip/component has been causing all the early problems or should, for instance, a revision A00 board be relegated to the trash?

4. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    If you're handy enough to repair it yourself, sure.
    If you're going to need to pay someone else to do the job, probably not.

5. bumperbass

bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    I repair equipment as part of my living, but troubleshooting the main board in this amp is not worthy of time spent. I decided to, and have, ordered a new main board for it, which will be a rev. H.
    If I don't like the head as a whole, I'll sell it. Rev H should give me (or someone else) a pretty reliable amp. The guy'd had it in a closet for 4 years, and I think of it as something that shouldn't be thrown away, which he'll eventually do.

6. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I believe the repair for these, at least the ones cutting out, is swapping the ICE1A165 for an ICE2A165. That’s like a $1 part. Might have some other components around that which need repair. Full compass has boards for $225, the the transformer for $7. For $50 with a little skill it’s almost certainly worth grabbing. Even with a full power amp board replacement you’re looking at a great amp for sub-$300 total.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yep, that new ICE chip is an official revision. I don't know if it's the solution for all of them, but if you can solder on PCB's, definitely cheaper than buying a whole board.

Sorry I didn't see this when you posted it originally, @bumperbass . There are some pics and instructions about doing that ICE chip replacement that johnk_10 posted. I forget which thread, but put his name in a search on SVT 7 Pro and it should pop up. Worth a shot if you can do it yourself. If you're not handy with soldering, though, you could find a tech to do it...probably would be less than the board replacement. But it doesn't guarantee the problem would be solved. Might still cost you if there's more than that going on that the tech has to fix. The one advantage of the whole new board is that it's a drop-in replacement that attaches with a few Philips head screws and a handful of molex plugs. I've pulled boards out of my other Ampeg micros and put them back in and it's a snap as long as you remember what molex plugs go where. But if you go for the replacement board, contact Full Compass and make sure it has the ICE2A165 chip on it.

8. bumperbass

bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    Shouldn't be a problem, JimmyM! I could put the new chip in (like I said, I do this for a living), but as you said, there could be other parts either fried or on the borderline. I figure a new board is the way to go. Different story, though, if it would cost me $150 or more for a broken head. Always keep my Sansamp at 100% blend, so that tells me I might be an Ampeg guy. Gotta try it out.
    Thanks for the comments!

JimmyM likes this.
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Oh dang...I saw your request for help and kinda skipped over the rest of the replies. H board revision is the most current that I know of so you should be good there with the new ICE chip. I think. But just in case you're not, at least you could replace it yourself :D Heck, might be fun just to try it on the old board and see what happens.

10. bumperbass

bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    I agree, it would be fun to plunk $5 for a part, put it in, and have the amp work. If I did that, and it DID work, I don't think I could trust it, ever. Trust me, those boards are not worth time spent just to get a head of steam up while digging into it. Been down that road. People don't repair motherboards, and it's getting that way with amps. Throw 'em away and buy a new one is the new mindset.

JimmyM likes this.
  11. bumperbass

bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    Yep. Full Compass. Thanks.

12. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Almost 100% certain that there is other damage.

JimmyM and bumperbass like this.