1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is any social media presence better than a polished social media presence?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Joebarnes, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Joebarnes

Joebarnes

Oct 4, 2011
    Surrey, BC
    Hey all,

My modern country band is finally getting moving, after several guitarist issues. I don't know what it is about guitarists, but we seem to have trouble finding any lead guitars that will play anything but metal. We play mainly originals with some cover songs thrown in between.

I am feeling we need at the VERY least a Facebook page up already. My lead vocalist has been wanting to hold off until we get a photo shoot together. My argument is we got some really decent looking shots at our last gig, we can use those and add the photo shoot pictures later on. I want her on board with the decision, as she's definitely the "ace in the hole" for our band.

What is everyone else's thoughts on Social Media? Sooner the better or wait for the photo shoot pic's and control our online presence very carefully?

How do all of you cultivate your online presence? Is it better to post frequently, or a few choice posts maybe once a week? What is the new "it" apps that people are moving towards?

Thanks to all for any insight they provide.

2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    It depends a lot on the band and what you're trying to accomplish. Knowing more about who you guys are and what your goals are would help us (or at least me) give you some suggestions :)

3. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

For a startup local band, I would go ahead and do it. You don't need studio-grade pics for a facebook page. You need to have a channel for people to start getting notifications of your gigs. Just take the best pics you can with a home camera and replace them with professional stuff later. Unless the idea is that this is a top-grade pro operation from square one.

LowFish and DirtDog like this.
  4. whatizitman

whatizitman

Sep 9, 2014
    When it comes to social media, quality wins out over quantity every time, IMO. Better to be late to the party with decent promo than put stuff out there in a hurry due to ease of distribution.

But most importantly, whatever you do, make sure you are ALL in agreement before posting anything band related. Too many people get burned by hasty or thoughtless social media gaffs. And the internet does not forget.

5. brbadg

brbadg

Nov 10, 2006
    Timonium,Maryland
    post frequently,here's my old band-
    GypsySoulRevival
    Love the way they trimmed me out of the photo,but I'm WAY over it now!

6. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    To a point. Highest quality generally trumps very technically competent DIY; but if you're trying to book, quantity = zed is bad. Depending on your market, some venues still won't consider booking your band if you don't have a solid social media presence.

As a rule of thumb for newish bands, your promo materials ought to be at least on par with bands playing one level better than the best kind of gigs on your calendar—or at least two levels better than the gigs you're mostly playing now. Take a look at bands showcased by the local or regional venues you aspire to play in the upcoming year but haven't cracked yet. If your materials don't look that good, they're either holding you back or they will be soon.

Icemanaroonie and Joebarnes like this.
  7. Joebarnes

Joebarnes

Oct 4, 2011
    Surrey, BC
    For what we look like, my profile pic is from a gig a few months ago. We're just looking to play gigs. Kinda have a Sugarland sort of sound (At least, that's how some people have described us). No delusions of grandeur; what comes will come. So far, we've gotten really good feedback from our live shows (and not from people we invited ;) ) I won't post a link to any videos online (as I don't want to upset any band mates, but if you need an idea, I can PM you a link.

jmattbassplaya likes this.
  8. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    If you put up tacky stuff, everyone will think you are tacky. Get the good stuff together as fast as you can.

pcake likes this.
  9. Michael B

Michael B

Dec 16, 2015
    Lowell, MA
    If you are playing gigs or selling product you are losing opportunity to get the word out. You can do a decent job posting without a pro pic. When you get one use it. Your FB page is about engagement more so then brand identity. You are making music not fashion afterall.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  10. Zebra

Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    I think you should have a facebook now, even if it's devoid of any real content for the moment. Sooner is better in terms of 1) having a place that fans can engage rather than just have them forget about you after they see you and 2) building up likes and activity now because that takes time. I would recommend against posting "bad" material on there that will haunt you in the future, but it doesn't have to be top notch.

11. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    not only that, but some people will remember your band represents itself poorly, which can cost you future bookings.

Gravedigger Dav likes this.
  12. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    There is no reason NOT to have a FB band page. Its free and easy to get set up. It gives you an easy way to communicate with your fans, promote shows, post pictures, and link to places where you sell stuff. Even though my band is a bunch of "older" guys, we use FB and Instagram to help our fans feel invested in our band. You don't want to spam your fans too much with advertising, but regular updates makes them feel like you are doing something, like your band is growing, and that makes them feel like they aren't wasting their time being interested in you. Because we are actually a small local LA band, we need social media to help us connect to people around the world. I know we aren't going to play England or Germany any time soon, but a properly cultivated social media presence can make people in those places still feel connected enough to the band to make them want to buy CDs and shirts. The fact my little band has people wearing our shirts in Europe is #%$&ing rad! Social media is the only way to make that happen.

13. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    First Impressions... well, you know the rest.

pcake likes this.
  14. Regarding videos: If you're uploading any, for God's sake don't use shaky cell phone camera videos with atrocious sound quality like I see some bands doing. If your group is good, a lousy video won't do you justice.

15. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    A lot depends on who you are. We're a bunch of back up dudes who decided we wanted to someday play in a band without a bunch of dramatic egotists wielding talent like so many light sabers. There is a lot of talent in a our area and our thing was having fun. Our Facebook page represents some of that and we post odd thoughts from rehearsal, pictures of whatever guitar we played that we week, we poke light fun at ourselves and promote other local folks whom we know so as to blunt any consternation. And the other folks are good players and good people so why not?

We use the page to communicate our band personality AND promote our gigs. We put it up with only some iPhone pics and augment it with photos from the blues jams we play in as individuals. We are having a pro take some shots at our next gig so we can have real promo stuff.

Our idea was to have the page document the band from the start so folks might feel "vested."

Everyone is different. Decide what you want to do on the page and go for it.