Is Anybody a Steely Dan fan?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SpiralStatic, Nov 14, 2005.

1. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...never heard of him.
  2. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    For the longest time I was a Steely Dan fan and didn't know it. Then I started playing in a band that had a few SD covers in the set list. I bought one of the anthology collections to learn some of the songs. So, for the past two years or so I consider myself a more mainstream SD fan. I had been grooving to a bunch of their songs for years, not knowing (or caring) who the artist was.

3. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

One of my best friends is a Steely Dan freak.
    Does that count? ;)

I play Do It Again and have considered doing more of their material, just haven't gotten around to it yet.
  4. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    I thought only girls could be Steely Dan fans. Maybe not....

Not that there's anything wrong with that. :D
  5. ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    OH YEAH! Josie, Haitian Divorce, The Caves of Altamira. They are among my favourite bands!
  6. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Every Dan fan I know is a guy. ;)

Chuck Rainey's bass lines on "Kid Charlemagne", "The Fez", "Green Earrings", "Don't Take Me Alive", "My Gold teeth II", "Peg", "Josie", "Black Cow", "Aja", etc are essential.

My least favourite Steely Dan story-
    I've been a fan ever since "Do It Again"; I have never seen them live & everyone knows how they stopped doing tours(until recently). In '96 or so, I'm offered two freebies(6th row center)...the 'all-original' band I'm in gets a 'gig'. To make a long story short, the other members whine about playing out & so I give those passes away.
    The 'gig'? We play a redneck bar doing our brand of White-boy Rapcore/Free Funk...I recall some Civil War relic at the bar toasting Jefferson Davis, "the greatest g**dam President the US Of A has ever had".

Whadda night...
  7. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
  8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I think at least 50% of talkbass membership are Steely Dan fans. My old band used to play "Peg", complete with Pat Hamm doing a hilarious Michael McDonald impression on the backing vocals.
  9. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Yes, I have every album they recorded plus the solo albums. To back up some previous comments, my wife HATES Steely Dan.
  10. hahah, i think i was the only one that understood that :p

its great to see that there are so many fans here..

my very first live bass experience was playing "Peg", "Reelin in the years" and "Home at last" with an 8 piece SD tribute band... it was amazing :)

ahahaha.... i can imagine. those are some funny backing vocals
  11. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Actually, the girls don't seem to care ....
  12. ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
  13. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005 long as the mood is right.

No static at all.

14. ooh....witty.
  15. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I've got "A Decade of Steely Dan" in my CD collection somewhere...

But suddenly I'm reminded of a time during which I was taking some audio/recording classes, and one night we learned how to tape splice (this is showing just how long ago I took these classes! Sometimes I miss analog reel decks.) We basically made a big continuous spliced mish-mash of Steely Dan songs.
  16. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I'm not really but this guy sure is :D [​IMG]
  17. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    It took me a long time to appreciate this band (named aftere a d!ld0 in a William S. Burroughs book) but now I really dig 'em.

It's funny, a few years ago there was a huge discussion about Steely Dan in Tape Op (my favorite recording magazine). A bunch of people felt that the 'Dan did more to destroy good-sounding recording than anyone else in history by eliminating ambiance--muffling drums and close-mic-ing everything. For me, their sound goes perfectly with the claustrophobic mood of their songs' creepy, paranoid characters.

A lot of people declaimed producer Gary Katz' role, saying he basically just scored the drugs (which I imagine was a job requirement for any major-label producer in the '70s). In contrast, I remember an interview where Chuck Rainey praised Katz for his ability to get a bunch of world-class musicians together, and then step out of the way so they could work their magic.
  18. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Huge fan, in fact had a Steely Dan cover band for a while called Stealing Dan.
    Love love love the Dan!!!