Is anybody else indignant that the "Flag Lakland" is on Ebay?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. PhunkyPants, May 25, 2005.

1. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    I gotta tell you, I loved Jim Roberts' book "American Basses". I flipped through the pages so many times, the binding broke and now the book is on my shelf as a bunch of well-worn and well-loved pages.

Of all the wonderful basses in that book, one stood out to me as a real tribute to American bassdom--the Flag-painted Lakland on the cover. Many times I gazed upon the bass and hoped I might win the sweepstakes that would award it to one lucky player. "Let it be me!" I hoped "I'll give it a good home."

So what has happened instead? The bass is now on Ebay as yet another crass attempt to sell a notable bass at an absurb price--$8300. Note the awful picture--unrotated, pointing to the left, uncropped with the bare box-spring in the picture.

Is this what Lakland...Jim Roberts....painter Gary Weidner...or any of us hoped for when that bass was commissioned? ARGH!!!
  2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Doesn't bother me at all. People do what they have to do. If I had won it, as much as I liked it, it would be up for sale the next day - assuming it was worth that much money. The guy who can't afford a cover for his box spring probably needs the cash more than the bass, and there's no shame in that.
  3. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    The seller put it on the 'bay a few months back for even more. I don't remember exactly how much, but it was around $10K. :meh:

I don't really have a problem with the bass being sold, but I know it's gonna be a while before anyone would pay anywhere near his asking price.
  4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have to agree with Pilotjones. We all can do what we want with our property. Furthermore, we don't know what that money is going for, it could be a major operation, kid's college, divorce settlement, who knows?
  5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    It's his bass. He won it, fair and square. More importantly--He paid taxes on the declared value of it. He obviously isn't in a big hurry to get rid of it at that price. Someone might eventually bite, and then who's the dumba$$? :D

If he wants to set it on fire and put it out by peeing on it, more power to him.

That goes with anybody doing anything to their basses. Want to paint your original '51 in dayglow orange? Knock yourself out. It's yours. :eek:
  6. yeah, screw that guy for wanting to unload his eyesore of a bass.
  7. He might actually sell it if he'd start the auction at a reasonable price. I wonder how much his ebay fees are up to so far for all the times he's listed it. :meh:
  8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    He has the freedom to sell it and make lots of money off of it.

Freedom and capitalism- isn't that what America's all about?
  9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    You can relist for free if you don't sell. At least once anyways-maybe more than that.
  10. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Dumbass has had it listed 3 or 4 times at least. Of course he can sell it if he wants, but he's smoking crack if he thinks someone is going to pay the ridiculous price he is asking. The first auction was listed at over 10K! I hope he enjoys paying all the listing fees.
  11. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    Please don't misunderstand me. I'm not saying he doesn't have the right to sell his (or her) own property.

But I just wish the bass had landed in the hands of someone who would love it, play it, and make great music with it.
  12. Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    That bass has a retail value of $6100 or so in the contest he won. I don't know if he could sell it for half of that!
  13. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Well, yeah. But, if I said that I didn't enter contests for gear that I didn't actually want, I'd be lying. As would quite a few people.
  14. iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    As a vexillologist I think it's a very cool bass but I would have sold it if I'd won it. I'm a lefty, it's not.
  15. lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Well, problem is that the bass only has a sentimental value --over its actual value-- for a very few readers/bass fanatics that appreatiate the book, Jim Roberts, etc.

But obviously the sellers thinks this is a big collector's piece (which again, it might be to some big fans, but not to the general collector's market).

Definitely a shame that the bass ended up in the hands of an ignorant (of its sentimental and moneraty value). I guess if he was selling it for, say, $3500 ($2500 actual street price + $1000 for its special value), then we would all feel better.

Heh! Whatever . . . I'm lefty anyway.
  16. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Honestly, this guy might have better luck listing the bass under "Art" to see if one the artist's fans might buy it.

I think arty farty types are more likely to buy a bass wrapped in fabric (must do wonders for the tone) for $9K than a bass player. :D
  17. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Nope. They hoped for a good promotional event, which they got.

I'd bet they couldn't care less who eventually owns the bass and whether it's sold 3 or 3000 times in its lifetime... if anything, they might care that it doesn't get destroyed publicly as a political statement, but other than that, I bet they're fine with whatever.

In fact, they might even like this for all the buzz it's creating. More PR for the buck. :)

18. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    How do you know it won't?
  19. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Hmmm now mid-east fundamentalist are going to burn basses too, what a shame.
  20. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

Actually, I'd value the bass at the current price of a used 55-94 and $500 more for the "fancy" paint job - about $2200! Yes, I do have a 55-94 and it is not going anywhere. I doubt that even an "art collector" would be willing to shell out what he is asking. Just too much of a bass and not enough of "art."

Dan K.