Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is anybody else really tired of this?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by FleaisGod, Aug 1, 2001.

1. FleaisGod

FleaisGod Guest

Jun 18, 2000
    Atlanta, GA
    Heya,

I was wondering if anyone else here is tired of music being broken down into categories. Or the people that listen to certain music being put into categories. Like the people that exclusively listen to hard-punk-ska-pop-core or death-goth-angry-hard-metal music or something like that. For example, I was playing the misfits song "Braineaters", at the beginning of the song they say "Oi Oi Oi". My friend then proceeded to say "Only skins can say Oi Oi Oi". He also continued to explain that they werent punk, they were rock because of some insane reason. What does it matter? Why are some people so obsessed with categorizing music? I say there are two types of music, "good" and "bad".

-Rob

p.s. - sorry for ranting :)

2. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Agree,
    I have the same problem with my band´s music, people get crazy trying to "label" our music, and every time they ask: what do you play?, we say: Rock!!, and they say: but.... what kind of rock???
    Rock, man, just rock, I dont know, why don´t you hear it and have your own opinion.........blablabla

I think people are programed to label music, and if you don´t give them some label, their chips explode and can´t think, eat, live, etc etc........

3. Well, not so much tired of it as don't understand it. When I last played (early 70s) there were a few catagories. Just a few. Now I'm back into it again there seem to be scores of varieties... a couple-a hundred?

I genuinely don't know the difference between Garage and House. I genuinely don't know what SKA is, and didn't even know it way a variety of music until two weeks ago. True. I understand R&B is now glamorous female singers doing fancy songs. Etc. Ad nausea.

I play bass in a 'rock band' - such as it is - and that description's good enough for me.

RJ

4. Err....perhaps it's cos I'm nearly 50, too.;)

5. bootyquake

bootyquake

Mar 29, 2001
    Washington, DC
    I'm glad somebody brought this up. It drives me crazy.

If you have two distorted guitars, an electric bassist, a kit drummer and a singer, I'm sorry to disturb you, but it's probably a rock band. Sure, Ska has more upbeats, but from Linkin Park to the Cure to the Aerosmith, you're all the children of Chuck Berry, Elvis Presley, Led Zeppelin, etc. You are not the progeny of Israel "Cachao" Lopez from Cuba, Tito Puente, Scotty Fitzgerald (the famous Cape Breton Scottish trad fiddler) or Ladysmith Black Mambazo (South African a capella choir).

If you use 4/4 time, straight 8th notes and you rock with a drummer, it's likely some form of rock. So when I hear bands give themselves categorizations so complex that they would shut down the Library of Congress ("We're more post-emo-hardcore-popcore-Canadian Metal than we are Punk-house-metalcore these days.") I want to smack them upside the head!

Do you play with Scottish snare drummers? Timbales? Gamalan orchestras? Irish bodhrans? No? Then you're jazz, funk, R&B, or rock--some kind of American music.

While we're on the subject--R&B ended with Stax Volt, you got that? Wilson Pickett, Booker T. & the M.G.'s, Sam & Dave--that's R&B. Destiny's Child and similar pop bands are an exploitation of race relations in this country, not a proper development of the extraordinarily rich history of black music in America. Record companies are shoveling the worst pop music in history using some blatant racial stereotypes and the most pandering version of techno-pop ever. They insult every R&B musician from the 60s and 70s who gave their lives perfecting Black pop music in America. (I think it was Rolling Stone that wrote, "Al Green perfected soul music in America after people stopped paying attention.")

Categories are for music executives to carve you up and tell you what YOU are, not what the music is. They should have music listed by level of QUALITY not my type.

The record store would look like this:

Bach--Brandenberg Concertos--Prague Radio Orchestra
    Marvin Gaye--What's Goin' On?
    Jaco Pastorius--self-titled
    Red Hot Chili Peppers--Bloodsugarsexmagik
    La Bottine Souriante--Rock 'n' Reel
    (insert your own)

6. APouncer

APouncer

Nov 3, 2000
    Lancashire, UK
    There are 3 different basic styles of western music - Pop, Jazz and Classical.

It's really that simple!

7. Robert B

Robert B Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Hampton, Va USA
    LOL !! Give 'em hell, Bootyquake!! :D

8. lowfreqguy

lowfreqguy

Oct 18, 2000
    Blues Brothers waitress voice on:

"Oh, we have both kinds of music here, Country and Western."

Waitress voice off...

9. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Screw you guys! You just don't understand! My band is the best Trip-hop-emo-funk-nu-ska-polka-zydeco-ambient-house-core band around! I HATE it when people screw up the genres! They're there for a REASON! To annoy other people and to sound like you're part of the scene! It's IMPORTANT!!

10. Ska is actually almost a roots music. Its kind of the Jamaican interpretation of early '60s American music. Played properly Ska isn't rock. My ska switch is when people are like ska, isn't that like punk reggae?

11. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    In college I took a class called History of Rock Music. There it was taught that ska was the island folk music that was the basis for reggae. Evolving in the 50s. That is, reggae grew out of the original ska. While much of what is called Ska today is unlike that original music, it would be very acurate to say that original ska is nothing like rock.

I remember that original rock was really nothing more than a combination of country and blues. In fact, it was called "Hillbilly" by some before the name "rock and roll" was coined.

Music evolves just like anything else. Every musician takes the sum of their influences and adds what they can to it to create their own musical offering. Some just add more than others.

I personally don't mind the catagories. It gives me some idea of how the band sees themselves, and helps me understand their influences and why they do what they do.

It's all talk anyway. Call it what you want, it either sounds good or it doesn't.

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Amen!

13. ...although you CAN use the ridiculous labels for fun and profit:

Walk up to tattooed/pierced young counter-dude at record store and ask why they don't have a whole aisle dedicated to IDM (intelligent dance music).

If he asks "What's IDM?" you get to leave the store shaking your head and muttering "Sooooo last century..." and if he says it's over next to the Darkwave Industrial, you get to launch into a tirade about how there's no way the two should even be NEAR each other, etc.

Of if you've got something better to do with your time, oh wait you wouldn't be reading my post... :D

14. We play post-punk hillbilly power pop.

15. HawkBoyXVI

HawkBoyXVI Hairbrained Schemer

Oct 25, 2004
    Lawton, OK
    I agree wholeheartedly about modern "R&B" being racially exploitive pop trash. However, I think categories are good. If you specifically wanted to read a mystery novel, wouldn't it kind of suck to try to find it in a library with only the categories "Books" and "Reference Books"? It's true that labels can get out of hand, but there have to be some. If you don't want to listen to a nu-metal band, it would be hard to avoid them with the only categories being "Pop" and "Jazz". (Aside from the fact that the band name would likely be a horrible misspelling of a food product).

16. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I have something to say...

+1 bootyquake AND +1 Chasarms AND +1 Embellisher.

Yea, I'm tired of it...

17. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Actually the Jamaican "folk" style wasn't ska it was mento...ska came later then rock steady then reggae...

18. I dunno. In my mind there is

Rock
    Jazz
    Country
    Classical
    Reggae
    Hip-hop

you either play one, all, or a blend of the above. But then, it does all boil down to if you like it.

"Good music is good music."-Dizzy Gillespe (I know I spelt it wrong)

19. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I was just thinking that there arn't enough labels....:(

20. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    I was just thinking that there aren't enough threads from 2001 being resurrected...