Is anybody else worried about western medicine?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slick519, Dec 20, 2005.

1. slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    Ok, now here is the situation...

We are finding cures for cancer and helping even the most physically sick individuals live. Life is indeed, a wonderful thing. But isn't death natural and needed? Millions of years of natural selection have thinned out the human race, keeping it alive and well, and progressing with evolution. But now medicine is keeping bad genetics alive, and allowed to reproduce.

Methinks that this is a recipe for disaster. I hate to sound like some kind of nut-job, but this has actually been weighing on my mind. We also have to look at the evolution of other species on the planet, as well. For example; super bacteria.

So lets see now... the most evolved species devolve and the lowest order evolves... what is going to happen? I think that the world is just going to implode and everyone on earth is just going to get wiped out by some huge supervirus.

haha, well, i guess i will finish my rant now. In all seriousness, has anyone else thought about this?

2. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    If you think that humans are devolving you're mistaken :)
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm just afraid some of the new drugs are gonna cause more harm than good.
  4. slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    i dunno, dude... Some are and some aren't. About half of my high school will turn out to be either dead, or some detriment to society in the next 10-15 years. There are just so many stupid people! maybe i am just over-reacting, and that is the way it has always been, and will always be, but still.

The current social system allows even the dumbest to survive. Whatever happened to survival of the fittest? When i go to the grocery store and see some 600 lb. lardo wheel him/herself around on the little carts and then go pay for junk food with his/her food stamps... something has devolved. If someone didnt give them checks, they would likely starve to death and be less of a threat to the gene pool... but no. These people are the epitome of stupidity and procreate like there is no tomorrow. Now we have more bubbas and mary-sue's running around eating and getting put in foster care.

So, i would say that yes, people are devolving. Maybe not a vast majority, but stupidity of the masses only grows.

5. Slick159,

I have studied genetics, and what we have are "allele frequencies" in the population. An allele is a gene variant. That is, everybody has the same genes, but different variants (alleles) of the genes. For most inheritable diseases there are a number of different genes are in play, plus environmental factors, and understanding when disease occurs is therefore complicated.

For the simplest inherited diseases, which are the ones we understand today, there is only one gene. For this gene there are health alleles and disease alleles. Everyone has to copies of each gene (chromosome), one from each parent. To get sick you must often get two disease alleles. If you only get one disease allele for most genetic diseases you do not get sick. That means there are a lot more carriers than sick individuals!

Yes, without access to modern medicine, the sick individuals would not have children. So does this mean the human race is losing fitness? Since the number of sick individuals is very small compared to the number of carriers, the allele frequencies are virtually unchanged. To change the allele frequencies in a large population, and today the populations are very large, the sick people would have to not have children over maybe 100,000 generations. I am not going into the mathematical details. Considering there are about 30 generations in 1000 years, this would take a very long time.

There is no need to worry! Instead, understanding inherited diseases means we can cure the sick.

For diseases that you get from only one disease allele (autosomal dominant inheritance), like Huntington's disease, everyone that gets the allele gets sick. If one of your parents has the disease, you have a 50% risk of getting it too. People who know they have this disease in the family have the option of not passing the disease on to their children thanks to modern medicine (they can have healthy children). They would not have that option without modern medicine.
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You are wrong. Did you not learn anything from Devo? If not, go to and learn. Of course, their idea of de-evolution is more from a political and sexual viewpoint, but I think they're all contributing factors to the de-evolution of the human race. Do not fight your biological destiny and genetic imperatives. We're all Devo!

As for the diseases keeping genetic weaklings alive to cause the human race to implode, I don't know if I buy that. This generation of people are the strongest and longest living group of people ever to exist in history. Every decade the average age of death increases a couple of years. There are more people living to 100 than ever before. Low E has some interesting info on the scientific stuff, and I believe our unparalleled understanding of the human body is causing people to be stronger and longer lived.

Instead, I think that the stupidity of our politicians guarantees our doom.
  7. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Are we men or are we Devo?
  8. i can see what you are thinking, but i don't believe we are going to have cures for cancer, instead we are going to get medication to keep the cancer at bay...Just remember, there's no money in a cure...

I'm not sure about the devolving, i do wonder about it, though, when i hear about people with allergies to milk or bread...i don't know anything about genetics, but from my view, it just seems weird!
  9. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Stop! Put down the Thomas Malthus books, please!
  10. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Once human race has gained mastery of our own bodies and genetics, biological evolution is no longer neccesary. Where artificial evolution will take us, that's a whole different question!
  11. Slick519,
    Don't worry bout it dude, seriously, there are better things to worry about. Like global warming.
    If education is so bad now, what about 100 years ago?
    People 100 years ago died of toothache when it went septic. Not to mention smallpox, rabies, cancer. Nice way to go.........
    And what about trauma?
    Ever had a car accident that wasn't your fault?
    Ever had a snake bite? Without help you're really screwed.
    I, for one, am glad we have modern medicine, and I'm not fussed about paying taxes for it either.

As for a super-virus - Spanish flu/bird flu is the one I'm worried about, the birds in asia come to australia for migration. 2 days and you're dead - that worse than plague!

So if anyone here is worried about the future, get rid of your big F-350, and downgrade to a moped, get solar screens put on your roof, a solar water system and look up PEAK OIL on the net. Oil running out into decline in 3 to 4 years, and running out completely (or too expensive in 20). :eek: Scary stuff...........
  12. LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    did someone feed you a red pill?
  13. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY'll have to be a little more clear...

Is it you're prejudice against overweight people or you're prejudice against those on food stamps? Or is it the whole welfare state you don't like? Or is it "bubbas and mary-sue's" as you say? By which you mean to put down people who are poor and white?
  14. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    That post was a veritable minefield. Who knows?
  15. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Wars kill people.

Dead people do not use resources.

Ergo: We should have more wars.
  16. Any one ever heard the saying;
    Rich man says, "The world would be a better place with no poor people"
    Rich wife says, "...but who would clean our toilet?"

Besides - I thought most muso's were poor......(am i the only one?)
  17. yes. it occasionally demands wallet control, fatty food and toilet cleaning duty (I am a poor muso) but most of the time it leaves me alone with my boring opinions.
  18. Wouldn't that just be another instance of natural selection (in this case taking out those overly dependent on medicine)?
  19. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    No, but eastern medicine is making me poop my pants.
  20. Well, you do live in the eatern states..........(slow clap anyone?)