1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is anyone building Cabinets like this?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SubNoizeRat3691, Jan 9, 2012.

1. SubNoizeRat3691

SubNoizeRat3691 Lovin' the lows Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Davenport, IA
    So, I was sitting at work tonight, very bored. I started thinking about 410 cabs and the classic 2 on 2 design... Then my mind started to wander to the possibilities behind 4 10" speakers!

I came up with this... Roughly.

What if you were to stack all 4 10" speakers vertically, but at different angles... for instance.

The bottom speaker would be roughly 60 degrees downward, the 2nd speaker would be straight out, the 3rd speaker would be angled 20 degrees upward and the top speaker angled 30 degrees upward.

My theory is, it would sound good, and be excellent for monitoring purposes. Is my theory way off???

Just one of the many many things I'm left to thing about whilst "working" on the weekends :hyper:

2. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Trace did a three speaker guitar cab, one up two inward, good dispersion but looked weird, funny impedance. There are better ways to achieve the same, straight 4 vertical is pretty happy, narrow so wide dispersion, tall so not so much lost to ceiling and floor and top one is close to ears.

3. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    My understanding is that a better execution o that idea is to crossfire the drivers inward. On the Fitzmaurice site, they(he) developed a guitar with crossfired drivers for wider dispersion and reduced "center beam".

THe same could be done with bass speaks, but the benefit if any probably wouldn't be worth the trouble.

I am curious if two crossfired drivers achieve a more round dispersal pattern in open space? I.e. Dispersion is improved in two directions?

4. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I think it would be great if you were at the top edge of a building and your audience was listening from a tall skyscraper across the street.

5. SubNoizeRat3691

SubNoizeRat3691 Lovin' the lows Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Davenport, IA
    I've yet to play on the top edge of a building... I've played atop a moving bus! That was fun!!