1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is anyone building with Lyptus?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Phendyr_Loon, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

Sep 4, 2010
    Just wanted to know if Lyptus is suitable as a fretboard wood, or if anyone has any experience with it. I got a hunk of it for free as the company I used to work for sometimes used it as a substitution for Mahogany.
    The particular piece of Lyptus I have is uncharacteristic to most of the Lyptus I've worked with since it is very hard and heavy.
    Also, correct me if I'm wrong but I tend to assume that Lyptus comes from the Eucalyptus tree. Lastly if this wood goes by and other names please educate me.

2. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
  3. ddtkills

ddtkills

Mar 7, 2009
    my wife worked for a kitchen cabinet company that used lyptus. She brought a few "reject" boards home one time and my son made a jewelry box out of it for his girlfriend. that stuff was hard as stone! it really dulled the blades and tools but sanded and finished beautiful.

4. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

Sep 4, 2010
    Thanks for all the replies.
    My first thought was to use it in a build for neck laminate pieces as it will contrast well with other woods.
    Using it as a FB may just be out of the question since stability in that part of the bass is important.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021