1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is anyone else caught in the Keurig trap besides me??

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Razman, Nov 9, 2018 at 8:20 AM.

1. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    I literally just threw my faithful, trusty, coffee maker out last night. Okay, so I didn't just chuck it in the dumpster, I left it on the ground by it so if someone was desperate for a coffee maker they could have it. It was perfectly fine, the clock kept good time, and it brewed great coffee. I think it was one of two we got as wedding gifts 20 years ago, and started using it when the first one crapped out (or broke the pot?? I dunno…)

However, earlier this year my wife visited her brother down in south Florida and he gave her their old Keurig that was broken and replaced under warranty. Red flags immediately went up, because I knew that if she liked it and if it didn't work well for us, I'd have to get her one. :eyebrow:

Such was the case - we had to leave it powered off and only power it on when we wanted to use it - so it worked most of the time. I continued to make coffee my way - taking a fresh cup with me to work in the morning, and refrigerating the rest. Then she got tired of dealing with the broken machine.

$130 later (plus another $22.98 every month or whatever it costs to get the 48 cup box of Regular Donut Shop cups from Wally World is) I'm now a happy Keurig owner as the dang stuff just tastes great. It's easy to use (just add water) and gives me a hot, fresh cup of coffee in mere seconds - drinking one now as I write this! Besides, the refrigerated, leftover coffee never tasted as good as the first cup anyway. I was going to try and hang on to tradition but just couldn't handle it. When my wife cleaned house on Monday I found it sitting on the couch with some other junk and was informed that it was outmoded, that there was no more room for it in our nook where the two competing machines sat, and was asked to store it.

Knowing that we'll never use it again (got the carafe for the Keurig machine - forgot about how much that added to the cost) I decided not to be sentimental about that piece of outdated technology (knowing that I could buy a much better one at Goodwill any time I needed one for about six bucks) and we parted ways. I was sad for about nine seconds.

Am I the only one here?? Not sure I can go back now that I have recovered from the initial investment and am dying a slow death by a thousand cuts (or k-cups?). Whaaah. :crying::crying::crying:

Raz

2. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

It's a side option on my coffee pot. It's nice when all I want is a single cup and don't want to mess about with a half pot. I set mine up to go off on timer in the morning so being able to have that set AND use the machine for a single cup is a great option.

DavC likes this.
  3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    The guy who invented it wishes he hadn't. I think that says enough.

4. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    We use an old fashioned percolator. But every time I have a cup of coffee from a single cup machine I like it. I've tried to bring her around to the notion of getting one but it's going to take an intervention.
    We're on our 2nd pot of coffee this morning and it's only 8:40am !

5. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Keurig creates too much waste.

yodedude2, FunkySpoo, MCF and 9 others like this.
  6. My fiance has a keurig. I'm not a coffee drinker and I've never been able to make a good pot of coffee. This is so easy that even I can make her a good cup of coffee.

7. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Everybody knows by now that those things generate tons of useless litter and needless waste, but congratulations on your convenient, plastic infused coffee.

Nashrakh likes this.
  8. You know there are brands making compostable cups right? I’ve been buying San Francisco Bay cups on Amazon that are 100% compostable and made with plant based materials.

Certified Compostable

You don’t HAVE to buy the plastic cup ones.

9. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Meh. It's less waste than a styrofoam cup from Dunkin. Harm reduction.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 9:35 AM
    Dominic DeCosa, Stewie26 and 10cc like this.
  10. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    That's great. Who composts yours?

11. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I know a guy who argues that throwing a cigarette butt in the grass will allow it to break down and decompose faster than dropping it in a landfill because it exposes it to the elements. Good thing everyone is doing their part for the environment.

Nashrakh likes this.
  12. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Is that you up there @bolophonic ? I can't even tell from way up there on your high horse. Don't let your suburban Durham/Chapel Hill mentality ruin a perfectly casual coffee thread, man. ;)

Razman, slobake and RedWire75 like this.
  13. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

I was rankled at first then bothered to pop into his home page. He lives it like he talks it so, no hate from me. I'd much rather that verbiage come from someone who isn't a hypocrite.

Love all around.

yodedude2 and FilterFunk like this.
  14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Blah, no thank you.
    I'd rather go without if that's my only option.

-Mike

Passinwind and Mike N like this.
  15. I don’t have access to commercial composting here. But if I have a choice between the standard cups and one made with plant based materials I’m going with the latter for my ONE cup of coffee a day. At least I’m trying which I’m sure is not good enough.

16. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Oh I love the guy. He's my favorite hippie farmer I never met..

However, coming into a thread where a guy is expressing his excitement over his new coffee maker and its delicious coffee to wag a self righteous finger and imply (inhale) that every time OP makes a cup that an organic responsibly sourced free range kitten gets heart cancer and the temperature of the Earth ticks up a billionth of a degree is just.... well..... no fun. :D

17. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Not Quite Right! Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Whitby Ontario
    I am still loyal to my French Press. Makes as little as one cup or up to 4 if required. It is fast and makes the best coffee (IMHO). Only waste is the grounds, and they go straight into my compost pit.

MCF and retslock like this.
  18. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

Is anyone else caught in the Keurig trap besides me??
    no, but i think they have their place. i just drink too much coffee to be bothered by the rituals involved with 'one-at-a-time'...and then there's the expense.

19. No, they make terrible coffee - imo

yodedude2 and MJ5150 like this.
  20. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Montreal, QC
    I’ve always been confused by the people who are unable to properly make coffee in a standard coffee maker. The directions are in the manual, as well as on every package of ground coffee sold in stores. It could not be simpler.

If you want to make a single cup in a standard coffee maker, just reduce the proportions. You don’t have to make a full pot or a half pot. I do single cups all the time. One scoop of ground coffee, then fill up a coffee cup with water. Dump water in coffee maker, then start. Done.

Mushroo and MJ5150 like this.