is anyone else getting pi**ed off?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by russ_4ft, Feb 16, 2001.

1. i know it's been said before but all the hype over the slapping and popping technique, I love slapping but it's got to the point now where i don't want to do it because it makes you look like you're 'trying' to be good by showing that you're 'down with' the slapping technique. I'm starting to get pi**ed off with it now.

Also if you listen to a lot of new albums that are coming out, a lot of them have bassists who slap and pop.
  2. There's a place (and time for everything), including slap 'n pop. I don't do much of it, but when done properly and appropriately (within the context of a tune), I think it's great. But like everything else, some folks tend to go overboard with it. But hey, if you do it right, what's the problem? I have difficulty understanding this business of "I don't want to do it because it makes you look like you're 'trying' to be good....." So what? If you have it, you have it, and if you don't, it won't matter how much you slap, you still won't sound good. It's the quality, and not the quantity, that determines whether you're good. Now, if one slaps and pops like cr*p, one should stop slapping & popping, asap!
    ZeroGlockThirty likes this.
  3. oh sorry i read the thread wrong i thought it was "is any one getting pi**ed on"

with leather
  4. Yeah I totally see your point. I mean I'm pretty good at slapping and popping, but then there's people who try to do it and it makes it seem dumb. I don't know. Don't listen to me. :)
  5. If it makes is sound good, then why not? Some I can understand like on the pop scene, but I don't know. I like slapping, but I play a lot of funk and stuff. But that's just me.
  6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Of to technique with youse!

Will C.:cool:
  7. I can do a WEE bit of slap/pop, but I rarely ever use it. Heck, I haven't ever played it on stage, mostly in lessons with my teacher and some times when I'm screwing around in band practice, but that's about it.
    Of course, I would like to improve my competency with slap, so I guess I'll just keep practicing it every now and then. Should a time come when I need to use it, then I'll be able to use it, right? And if that time never comes around, at least I can still do it! :D
  8. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    i think some people over use slapping to be a show off as well, personally i use minimal slap in most of my songs, a little more pop, and mostly playing with a pick. but if slapping floats your boat then slap away.
  9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Personally, I'm bored with it.

BUT, the people in the clubs aren't, so, I don't have much choice. I guess it's old if you've been bassing for years. But if you don't play bass or don't listen to a variety of music, it's still new to you.
    Trendy or not, it's here to stay, just like using a pick. But not as the dominant technique. I think it will die down into a slot like tapping did. The only technique that has died, in my experience, is thumb bass.
  10. phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    I saw a bass instruction video by Nathan East in which he said we should not overdo the slapping bit. He said when Larry Graham first used it years ago, it was because he was playing with his mother and there was no drummer, so he had to also provide the percussive effect. These days we often play with drummers (or fancy drum machines) so there really is no need to overuse the slapping and popping. That's what he said.
  11. EdgarHons

Oct 14, 2000
    To outsiders, slap is something that guitar can't do, and therefore separates bass from electric guitar. By doing this, they can judge how good of a slapper you are, and then use that to determine how good of a bassist you are. If you want to impress, learn how to slap well is my opinion

Luckily for me, I've already got a guitarist ready for when I start a serious band, and he doesn't care about slapping, just so long as I'm good playing...say...regular. He likes Cliff Burton, Cliff's my main it works out.
  12. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    You don't listen to Marcus Miller much, do you? He's the MAN at thumb bass (I assume you're talking about muted strings, pick with the thumb). I do this quite a bit too, and it adds a nice color to your palette.
  13. rickbass

No, Pac. I talking about the style that the old Fender finger anchors had below the strings, a la Brian Wilson.
  14. I found a nice place to use slap & pop! :D
    In rehearsal for the 8th grade musical being written by 2 of my teachers, we were introduced to 2 more new songs today. One of them is just octaves, in a slightly funky beat. Anyway, I started playing it fingerstyle (the teacher writing all the music for it plays guitar & bass with a pick. Oddly enough, he hates the pickup & bridge covers on my Fender. :D:p) and thought it sounded kinda...
    too mellow. Especially when he said "This is sort of like...the 'happy theme song' that everyone's going to be dancing to etc."
    That basically made my mind up for me. I started slapping & popping the octaves, and even though it was ONLY octaves, no fills or anything (This teacher is the ultimate example of 'less is more' when it comes to bass. Although he too appreciates nice bass fills. :D) it just made the song seem oh-so-much happier. :)
  15. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    To every thing there is a season.It's all good.
  16. I for one hate the whole slap/pop/click-click-click sound.
    too many people do it nd too many people love it.
    but, uh, mybe i'm just bitter 'cuz my girlfriend ditched me for a guy who can slap.
  17. rickbass

Uppercuts weren't good enough for her, huh? Was the guy Eminem? ;)
  18. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Ive played funk type stuff for along time now and i love to slap funk around! But yes there is a time and place for everything! And it all depends on the player if he does it well or not! The bad thing about slap to me is that you can practice it for a couple years and kinda sound good! Its real easy to make it sound like you know what your doing with slap! Like the little slap thing the guy did from 311 on that song that was on the radio! Come on man! A guy that i like that can slap very well is the new guy they have with pink floyd!Ugly short dude! He plays very simple bass stuff for a few tunes and then just kinks in for a sec i think its just to let everyone know that he is the ****t! Listin to one of there live albums he usually does a funk solo!
  19. michael

Mar 10, 2000
    Is there a drummer that can replace anyone's mom? Or what drummer can't be replaced by your mom?

just getting the posts up. I'll go back to work now.