1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is anyone else here addicted to Mythbusters?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by duo8675309, Apr 28, 2006.

1. duo8675309

duo8675309

Jun 5, 2005
    I can't stop watching it. Its like crack. I set my DVR (tivo-esque thing that came w/ the cable) to record it. I love it! But I can't watch the same episode twice. Its like reading a mystery novel again. Just pointless.

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I agree about watching the same episode. I don't know if I would say I'm addicted, but I do enjoy the show!

They are coming to do a live act in Milwaukee in May - I'm hoping I get a chance to check it out. You should see if they're coming to a town near you.

3. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I'm 100% addicted to anything on the Discovery channel, and it's offiliates. IE: Military Channel, TLC, Discovery Times, Animal Planet, and The Science Channel.

When I say addicted, I mean I wake up to it. Then I go do my day things. When I come home I watch 4 hours of any of those channels and go to sleep.

Favorites: American Chopper, Overhaulin, Wrecks to Riches, Miami Ink, Mythbuster, Future Weapons, Battle Strategy, The New China, American Hot Rod, The Science of (...), MegaMachines, the list goes on.

I have become hypnotized by DSC...and it feels great!

4. thats pretty cool :)

they are a lot of fun to watch...they remind me how the discovery channel used to be before it turned into the home improvement channel

5. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Great show, but not addicting.

6. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I like it. I agree with the watching old episode more than once. When they have the episodes i haven't seen on back to back, it's hard for me to get away from the TV.

7. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I dunno, I used to watch it, but I always felt like they were missing variables when busting their myths. For example, they "busted" the myth that you could pull the back axle off a cop car by chaining it to a pole like in american graffiti. When they tested the myth they used a modern police cruiser with a rear axle that has swingarms and sits in recessed point in the frame. The car in american graffiti would have the rear axle held on by only a couple of U-bolts holding it to leaf springs, which would have been alot easier to pull off. It just seems like they are always ignoring big pieces of the puzzle like that.

8. anyone else remeber the show "Beyond 2000"? or was it 3000? either way, ****ing awesome show back then

9. I used to watch mythbusters but not anymore. I prefer the show brainiac which is more fun, less science.

10. I record Mythbusters every Monday night on my PVR and usually watch the episode a couple of times during the week - I love it! I usually pick up a couple of new little things that go too fast when you are watching it for the first time. Kari seems to be getting cuter every episode too, but I guess she is making up for the other two freaky women in the build team.

11. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Good show, but I get annoyed with the way it's edited.

They do two different things and mix them in out of order. Then you get stuck with commercials, then more of the same. Its hard to get into it when they keep doing this.

Those guys have a fun job.

12. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006

I've noticed a trend in the format of these kinds of shows - I think it's come from the US where advert breaks are more prevalent, but it's REALLY annoying for anyone with an attention span:

Every 10 minutes they repeat everything they've told you so far: Mythbusters isn't the only one, but it's one of the worst. I KNOW they're trying to fire a donkey out of an ejector seat! I've BEEN WATCHING THE SHOW! I KNOW they're not going to use a real donkey, cause I saw them weigh the real donkey and make the stand in out of flour sacks and ballistics gell. I KNOW they did some scale model tests, CAUSE I WAS WATCHING! I KNOW they made an ejector seat out of 10,000 elastic bands, and a trashcan CAUSE I SAW IT!!!!!!

It's like watching TV with my grandmother who always insisted in summarising shows as she was watching them, for the benefit of no one in particular who was in the room at the time.

About half the show is telling you what you've already seen. IT DRIVES ME NUTS!!!! They expect the audience to be MORONS, or to channel hop continuously. Actually sit down and watch it, and they treat you like an idiot.

Ian

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    [​IMG]

Who wouldnt want to watch a show with a smart, hot, geeky, red-head chick?

Well thats not the only reason I watch it. I was hooked before she joined the cast, but Im sure she doesnt hurt the ratings.

14. Just a note about the other Mythbuster chick Scottie Chapman:

scottie_bio.

"In addition, Scottie has played bass guitar for several underground punk/noise bands including the Wizards of Ozzie, a group that performed "lounge" covers of Black Sabbath songs."

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/mythbusters/meet/meet_06.html

15. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    Its pretty good, but the american version of the discovery channels are so much better than what we have here

16. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    The newer seasons i don't like as much.

But I can say that yes they are pretty farkin awesome.

17. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Man! She is a cutie!

18. I love this show to death, and I'm so psyched about these new episodes. Something about exploding pants next week:hyper::hyper:

19. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA

Those shows kicked. Next Step, Beyond 2/3,000. I remember them. I was really young when they were still on.

20. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    There really is nothing better than explosions, welding, and as stated before, a really cute redheaded geek.:hyper: