Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is anyone else sick of seeing this Alembic on Ebay?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Oct 18, 2005.

1. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
  2. JJBACOOMBA

JJBACOOMBA Commercial User

May 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Lecompte Bass Owners Club Member #2
    If your that sick of seeing it on ebay , maybe you would feel better seeing it on a guitar stand in your room. I know I would. Great bass, but I play lefthanded and have an Alembic already.Looks like a great deal.

3. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I had a MM Sabre with three Novatone boards like that and thought it was cool. But this is priced too high (IMO of course) for a modified Spoiler. But if someone eventually goes for it, I guess the price is right. :meh:

Marshall

4. JJBACOOMBA

JJBACOOMBA Commercial User

May 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Lecompte Bass Owners Club Member #2
    does novatone still make those fingerboards?

5. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Not as far as I know.

6. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal

Nope. That all came and went in a fairly short period during the 80s.

7. mrcircle

mrcircle peacenik Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Boise, ID
    That's not the only bass repeatedly re-listed by GC at a price well above market value. I've seen an early L-1000 every time I've searched for G&L basses for at least the last six months. When I first noticed it, I think the opening bid was $770. Now it's up to $815 (they usually go in the $4-500 range). From what I've observed, I think they generally overprice their used instruments, at least on eBay.

8. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    +1. Many have said that the mod made necks unstable.

The ad says all original hardware, but it looks like Novatone to me. I could be wrong, but so could GCREP.

mrcircle - agreed. I'm just being grumpy.

Marshall

9. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Theres the same bass in the GC by me. Ive never picked it up before... but something just tells me bad things. For the number of basses that Alembic puts out, Ive seen way too many used ones out there that go for almost no money (relative to the asking price of a new one).

10. mbulmer

mbulmer

Nov 25, 2002
    Feeding Hills, MA
    I've been noticing that for a LONG time now. I also keep seeing a couple of Pedullas that are grossly overpriced. I don't think it's just on Ebay either. The Pedulla I sold to GC a few months back is still hanging in the store. It's a Thunderbolt 6 string about 10 years old and they're asking $1999 for it with no case. I think you could get that exact bass, new, for the same price, or less if you haggle well.