Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is anyone else suffering from _really_ bad allergies?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Sep 1, 2005.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Man, this time of year is horrible for me. Every morning I wake up and my eyes are red and tearing. They itch like crazy, too, and rubbing them only makes it worse. I'm sneezing all the time and my nose hurts from rubbing it with tissues all the time. The real kicker is, the only OTC drugs that do me any good make me super-drowsy. It's a no-win situation. I can't wait for fall.

If you've got really bad allergies, are you taking prescription meds, or OTC?

By the way, if there are any people without allergies that would like to chime in, please feel free to do so. I wouldn't want to make anyone feel left out or excluded.

2. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I have rather mild allergies that act up at during the typical times of year for allergies. The Dollar Store version of Claritin does the trick for me.

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I have bad allergies, actually it's better nowadays, but there were times when it was much worse. I'm taking prescription medicine, double dose most of the time from march to october, sometimes triple dose when it's real bad... and it makes me super-drowsy, as well. I can't concentrate when I'm taking this stupid stuff. This clearly shows on my grades:
    winter - 4.19
    summer - 3.62
    winter - 4.44
    summer - 3.11
    For example, for the maths exam coming up on next Tuesday, I'm going to stop taking this for a period of time.

4. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    hey superduck,
    I shopuld have really bad allergies also. But back in the winter I got diagnosed with sinusitis. so help start clearing up the sinusitis, we had to prevent the allergies.
    The Dr. put me on singulair and zyrtec.

IT HAS WORKED GREAT. I cannot express how well these 2 pills have helped me this spring, summer and soon fall. I take the singulair in the morning cause it doesn't make me tired and the Zyrtec at night (because it makes tired a little).
    definitely try them if you can. Ask your Dr. for some samples.
    forget claritin and the like. these 2 have worked a literal miracle for me. :hyper:

5. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I have a nasty tingle in my eyes and a dripping nose every time it's birch season. A Zyrtec, or nowadays Xyzal the zyrtec mark II, per day does hold it at bay well enough, though.

6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I've been taking Zyrtec for some years now (now I'm taking Parlazin, which is basically the same, just produced under licence by a local pharmautical company, which makes it cheaper), and while it works, the double/triple doses still make me sleepy and make concentration very hard.

7. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    My allergies don't start acting up till about end of april.. And then they REALLY act up it looks like I just had a "smoking session" it gets irritating to explain. :(

I am clear for now. :)

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I will definitely have to check that out. The last few weeks have been pretty bad, and I need all the help I can get. Thanks for the tip.

9. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    I use the steroid-based treatment Flonase. If I let my prescription run out, I get hit so hard it feels like a bad cold. Even then, under certain circumstances, my allergies act up badly, and I take a combination of Actifed and Tylenol Allergy/Sinus. These circumstances are usually construction-site related, there's all kinds of dust and chemicals and mold that'll tear my throat, nose, and eyes up, and dust masks don't really help.

10. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    I hear ya dude.
    before my medicine, i used to be able to sneeze up to 30x in a row, no problem. Now, if I sneezed 10x this year, i would say it's alot. i work with construction wood a lot also, I know how you feel.