1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is Anyone Having any Issues with their MR Black Fwonk Beta?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nighttrain1127, Mar 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Mine worked fine for a little over a week. Went to use it tonight and it is all sub lows and sometimes it sounds right for a few seconds then Back to subs. I put in a new battery and that did nothing so I connected it with my Onespot and it still did the same thing. I am guessing it is not a power Issue.
    Anyone got any Ideas?

Thanks

2. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Contact Mr Black?

Probably a dodgy solder joint on one of the pots.

gregmon79 likes this.
  3. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Yeah. I would do this.

It happens. Most pedal companies are going to have a crap something or otter every now and then. I'm sure he'll be more than happy to help you out.

4. Nighttrain1127

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    That is what I figured . Just wanted someone else to say what I was thinking. I am sure they will do the right thing

Musicman1901 likes this.
  5. Nighttrain1127

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Well Now I feel really stupid I had my onespot powering the Pedal and I had replaced the battery but when I checked the Onespot it was not plugged in all the way and when I pushed it in all the way The Issue was resolved. So no Issue with this pedal at all now.

DirtyDuke and karla684 like this.
  6. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I love it when a problem turns out to be operator error. Those are the easiest to fix.

Witness412 likes this.
  7. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    How did the sub stuff sound? Worth adding in a starve knob?

8. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Dropping Acid Pedal Etching .com Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    DroppingAcidPedalEtching.com
    You don't want to do that with a digital pedal.

blindrabbit and dinoadventures like this.
  9. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    wait the fwonk beta is digital?

edit: i just check manual it drains 60ma, didnt know that it is a digital pedal

10. JonnyAngle

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    Yea. It's a good digital though!

blindrabbit and dinoadventures like this.
  11. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    ...meh? Why is that?

12. JonnyAngle

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    I'll do my best, in not an electrical engineer:

With analog pedals, your bass signal is passing through the transistors, capacitors, resistors etc and that is what creates the effect. Changing voltages will change the effect of each component.

Digital pedals use these components to convert your signal to a digital signal that processes the sound, then converts it back to analog. Digital signals are more like a math formula, no matter what voltage they're at, they are going to produce what they're intended or they won't. Life expectancy decreases or the pedals just won't work with incorrect voltages, or the circuit gets fried.

13. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    You're not wrong about potentially shortening the life of electronics. I do a fair amount of circuit bending though, and voltage starves have very rarely resulted in a busted piece of electronics for me (I have destroyed them in plenty of other ways tho). So yes, there is a risk here, but how great?

And it absolutely does something to the sound - OP got an unexpected sub sound that was at least kind of unpredictable. Whether it is worth repeating that sound is up to OP (obv).

14. Nighttrain1127

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    It was a cool kind of sound kind of like a sub Fwonk with no highs Just very deep sub sweep up. It might be useable for Dub But your speakers will have fun with it.

15. JonnyAngle

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    But having a power plug partially plugged in is not changing the voltage.

Changing the voltage would be using a different power adapter. Or adding a sag knob.

16. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    I interpreted the original issue as a dying battery.

17. MGR

MGR Banned

Jan 18, 2015
    Bronx, NY
    Most Mr. Blacks are digital. He doesn't really advertise them as such and you have to go to some lengths to confirm it, but yes, all his modulation effects are DSP and apparently so is the new Fwonk.

18. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Just as well he only wants to sell them in the US...

19. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    If you're against this pedal because it's digital, you're missing out big time. It beats the hell out of any analog filter on the market IMHO!

20. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    The SA Manta is also digital and it's one of the best filters out there. With all the glowing reviews from actual users and not just endorsers, I can't imagine the Fwonk not actually being an amazing filter. Who cares if it's digital.