Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is anyone here gigging with a SWR Workingmans 12?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mark Jacobs, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Mark Jacobs

Mark Jacobs

Dec 16, 2000
    I've got one. It's got nice tone and it's portable but it has very little headroom -- even for small/medium sized gigs. Is anyone playing out with their WM12? What should I be looking at in terms of my next amp? 350-400W?

Thanks

2. I gigged with one for awhile, but only in small settings. Even then I ran it through the pa and had difficulty hearing it. I now use my wm4004 and 1 cab(2x10) on the small stuff, Mucho better.

3. natebass

natebass

Sep 6, 2001
    Bremerton, WA
    I did for a few years - wasn't bad, but I just don't care too much for SWR, to be honest.

4. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    ------------------------------------------------
    Is anyone here gigging with a SWR Workingmans 12?
    ------------------------------------------------

I've used one in a small trio with NO drummer in small clubs and coffee houses. It sounds really good on stage, but does not carry or fill the room in the bar. at a quiet singer/songwriter coffee house, its fine. I agree that it lacks headroom. When I turn it up, it gets a bit louder on stage but does not offer a full sound to the whole room. It is rather directional. That's my experience. MY goal is to replace it with an Epifani 112 and something like an SWR SM900 head for small gigs. That should carry the room much better. The SM900 will serve double duty in my bigger rig. I plan to match it with a Bergantino 322. Alternately, I am still on the fence. I might opt for an EBS HD350 or TD650. No one has those in town to try which makes the decision a little tougher since tone is so subjective. But that's another thread isn't it?

Gary

5. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I used a WM12 for one gig, I was pretty happy with it...had it while I was waiting for my head...If you just want an SWR combo, I'd go for the Workingman's 2x10C or the SWR Black Beauty...both are awesome amps!!!

6. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Mark,
    I used a SWR WM12 for about a year in church. We played at fairly low volumes and it was plenty loud enough for those situations but I missed the slightly warmer sound of a tube pre-amp. I originally purchased the WM12 because I wanted to down size but in the end I migrated back to a serparate cabinet and head. A good 2-10 cabinet (w/horn) and a 250-350 watt head (SWR SM400S or 350) offers much more versatility and individually weighs about the same. The headroom of the amp allows for a much better sound also.