1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is anyone making an internal-powered cab like a Bergantino IP-212?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MrDOS, Jun 4, 2011.

1. As I lust after Volvo (and BMW!) station wagons and think how close I am to driving a passenger car to each and every gig (after needing a cargo van for the past 5 years because I was the PA guy, keyboard player AND bass player), I am thinking an IP212 (or IP310) would be great for my current gig.

I did not have the $ while I watched the last of them disappear from all of my favorite online retail haunts. Other than waiting what would seem like a hundred months to see one here or on eBay, are any other manufacturers doing the internal-power thing?

I am surprised I don't know of any, looking at the PA situation where Turbosound, Mackie, Yorkville and many others have been going in that direction for years.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah, lots of powered PA spkrs, but really, it makes much less sense with bass gear, as most players use intergrated heads.

3. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    I think it is a cool idea for big venues. You could add an infinite number of cabs without dropping the impedance down to negative valuse. And each cab would ideally be matched to its power source.

I think a (very) few other manufacturers are making powered bass cabs. I can't think of any off hand though.

4. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois

G.K. just released powered bass cabinets, the MBP series.

www.gallien-krueger.com

5. jsbarber

jsbarber

Jun 7, 2005
    San Diego
    The Bergantino "IP" (Intelligent Power) series cabinets are not just powered cabinets. That would just be a "P" series. They have a DSP that is programmed to provide a flat frequency response and control other aspects of the signal for optimal performance. So, I would be cautious about other powered cabinets as substitutes for an IP series cabinet.

The IP series cabinets are outstanding, and I would highly recommend trying to get your hands on one. They appear from time to time on TB in the for sale section.

FWIW,

Jim

BTW, you could always check out the Meyer's powered cabinets. Anthony Jackson was using some of their gear for a while, and maybe still is.I think they also do the IP thing. They are very expensive though.

6. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    Me too.;)

Good luck.

7. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    Bag End offers powered versions of all their bass cabs.

8. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    I think MarkBass has a relatively new powered cab. I think it was designed with Alain Caron and it may be designed to be used with their new floor preamp, also designed with Alain Caron.

9. Thanks for the info, Jim. I am huge Bergantino fan, and have been shoving their virtues down local folks' throats for years.

When I bought my Turbosound PA years ago, I also auditioned one of the first Meyer PAs with servo controlled drivers. Very impressive, but also 4X the cost of what I purchased! :)

Thanks for all of the replies!

10. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Doesn't Phil Jones have a new powered cab now?

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    TB member Prockenklang uses Meyer Sound cabs. The OP could PM him to get the lowdown. I think Prockenklang works where he could help you get some of them.

12. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Bag End have a few awesome ones.
    It's no a very popular product, they tend not to last long on the market. EBS used to make great ones.

13. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    I've oftened wondered if I would like a powered cab on a pole to use as a stage monitor with the preamp of my choice. Our keyboard player uses one and loves it. The new GK cabs look promising, but, are there any PA types, besides the Meyer ones, that would be good for bass ? I'm thinking a 210 or 3 way 15.

14. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Bumping this old thread to see if anyone knows of anything new on the market or has any other ideas/solutions.

My dream is to have just my Kern IP777 pre sitting on top of a compact lightweight powered cab around the size of a 2x10, 2x12 or 1x15. A combo won't do because I don't want the extra preamp section, just my Kern.

Based on other threads, the new GK extension cabs are probably not a good solution because of the input level required. But that was close to what I'm hoping to find.

15. DIY cab with your choice of power amp built in?

16. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Do it yourself work for you?

http://www.speakerpower.net/

I've been gigging one of these for several years now, albeit mounted in a rack case. The amp cost way too much to limit it to one cab, in my world at least.

Hypex makes a pretty nice looking plate amp now too.

17. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Plate amps, huh? I knew they existed, but never knew what they were called or thought to look for them.

Thanks, this is an idea I had not considered. Seems expensive though.

18. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    They are expensive, presumably since you're paying for an extra level of robustness that isn't really necessary for a racked power amp. At the time I bought mine I was attracted mainly by the very powerful onboard DSP, which also turns out to be a very powerful PITA to program. ;)

The Bag End plate amp can be found online with a little sleuthing too.

19. I heard Jim is supposed to be bring out something new along the lines of the IP. Should be interesting.