Is anyone playing a bass on stage that they don’t like the look of?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Meyatch, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    5.5%
  2. No

142 vote(s)
    86.1%
  3. Carrots/I can’t follow instruction/I am incapable of rational thought

14 vote(s)
    8.5%
  1. Meyatch

Meyatch Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    this is a spinoff of the “is your bass an important part of your stage image” thread.
    Is your bass an important part of your stage image
    It is my position that consciously or unconsciously, we all choose to present ourselves onstage in a certain way. Just because your look isn’t flashy, doesn’t mean it’s “only about sound”

I also think those guys that say it’s only about sound are full of it, but that’s a different thread.

I have played on stage with Basses that were pink, yellow, orange, and had blue luminescent wire taped to them.

My Basses all look and sound like a million bucks.

I don’t think it exists, but I’m curious if anyone can prove me wrong. Is anyone playing out regularly with a bass that they truly dislike the look of? Not “well a lot of people wouldn’t like this” or a bass that you are playing for one song to smash or give away at the end of the night, not a bass that you play on recordings, and nobody ever sees.

Is anyone playing regularly with a bass they think is ugly, because it just sounds so good they can’t leave it at home?

gebass6 and jd56hawk like this.
  2. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Ravenholm
    I happen to agree with you about the point.

Old Blastard likes this.
  3. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Not yet.

4. 6047D3AD-24DC-4F56-8EC8-9C115D469A9B.jpeg I used to own and play an Italia Rimini bass that was covered in white mother of toilet seat material.
    It had a great sound,and i enjoyed kind of shocking people with its “so ugly it’s cool”esthetic.
    Ultimately i traded it,because the frets on it were so jumbo,they hurt my fingers!

5. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Do you just have a really ugly bass that has the perfect tone, and your just looking for validation from the group here to use it? Is it a Hello Kitty bass or something like that? :roflmao:

6. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Gibson had their Gov’t series, tan or grey. Don’t know how they sounded though.

7. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    I play an avri 62 Jazz quite regularly. It is such a sweet Bass, it sounds great it plays great but I am just thoroughly burnt out on Sunburst and tortoise pickguards. So while I don't absolutely hate it I don't like the looks of it very much anymore.

alaskaleftybass, TinyE and ajkula66 like this.
  8. Meyatch

Meyatch Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    No. I would rock a hello kitty bass if it played and sounded decent. I'm just getting sick of every time someone brings up how basses look on here, a bunch of people will jump out and say "screw what people say! The only thing that matters is sound!" These people are invariably playing Fender or derivatives, in the holy trinity of "safe" colors, white, black, or sunburst.

Now I've never heard anyone say that they would play a bass that sounded like farts and played terribly because they like the way it looks, but I also don't think people play basses they think are ugly because they sound great.

I own, and have owned some basses I think other people probably wouldn't like, but I have liked the look of every bass I've ever played in public (at least at the time, I had a headless bass I painted metalic red once, that's not really my style now)

9. AndreasR

AndreasR

Oct 23, 2012
    I wouldn't buy a bass that I think is ugly. I don't care if others think it's ugly, that's their problem.

10. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I don't think you'll find many cases of anyone going out to buy a bass they really think is ugly. They may purposely buy a bass others may find ugly for shock value or someone in a tribute band forced to play let's say a Hohner Beatle bass to keep the theme. I certainly have played my share of basses other thought were ugly but I didn't think of them that way.
    Only real time I played a bass I thought was ugly was my very first bass which was bought for me by my parents when I was a young kid - it was a jazz clone bass in natural finish and tort pickguard. I hated it because it looked dated and very plain to a pre-teen where appearance was a big part of life. It looked far too 70-ish to a New Wave teen. The music store somehow convinced my parents it was the perfect first bass. Truth be told, that thing was a player, sounded great but I hated being seen with it when my other band members had an Iceman guitar and a Gibson Les Paul. I have to laugh because I now think that bass was beautiful, I can now appreciate the retro look, but back then it felt like driving a Model T Ford to a school prom.

11. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

I have a 1974 “poo brown” Fender P that I gig a lot - sounds amazing but looks kinda crappy.

Still an iconic bass, but the colour leaves a lot to be desired.

12. AndreasR

AndreasR

Oct 23, 2012
    I see what you did there.

Kmrumedy, Old Blastard and Woodchuck like this.
  13. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

I just saw what you saw. Unintentional humour!

14. I think this about everyone that plays a newer T-Bird with mudbuckers, lotta people playing them and they all sound like farts.
    it's what I consider a "look at me I play one too" Bass.

15. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    My Hohner B2B is a Steinberger clone-ish bass. I use it mainly as a travel bass. Replaced the pickups with Lindy Fralins so with flatwounds it sounds great. Easy to play. Hangs well and feels good with the double strap. Kind of an odd looking bass, though. I've had five other Steinbergers, including an L2. They seem to have me in their clutch.

HohnerB2BonRug.jpg

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    Chili Bo Billy and Maureen M like this.
  16. SLO Surfer

SLO Surfer

Jun 3, 2009
    Los Osos, CA
    My bass looks beautiful when its sitting there by itself. But in pictures and video of me playing it on stage, it looks like a bright maple neck floating in space with no body attached. The whole body is dark mahogany, black pickups and pickguard, you can’t even tell it’s a P bass from most pics of me playing it on stage.

Whatever. It sounds and feels incredible to play and it looks great by itself.

17. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Herrick likes this.
  18. HertzWhenIPlay

HertzWhenIPlay

Jan 15, 2011
    Atlanta
    I like things that go BOOM
    999755D6-0FE5-40B9-B599-33CDBB9B1897.jpeg The bases I play look great on stage and in my opinion this is only becoming more true as I am currently working on two builds at the same time. Thank you, Marty Bell!!

Attached Files:

19. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Well, it's not so much that I think the bass is ugly per se... but whenever I gig with my Steinberger L-2 I'm very much aware that I look like a complete dweeb.

But for that sound, it's worth it.

Baird6869, bobyoung53 and ajkula66 like this.