Is anyone use SWR SM-500 with Aguilar 112?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jin Kim, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Hi, I just thinking and thinking again to purchase this combo.
    I know what SM-500 sounds like, but I never tried Aguilar cab.
    So somebody can help me how it figures.
    And or good match for under $800 used amps and cab.
    Thanks in advance..
  2. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Not with a Sm500, but I have used a GS112 with a SWR SM400. I believe they have similar, but not exactly the same preamp, but the 40 has less power.

I like the combination. I think that they compliment each other since both have a naturally "scooped" sound that's big on bass and highs. Mids can be dialed in on the SWR, but the Aggies don't take to them naturally. I'm not saying it sounds bad or that it can't handle mids, it's just not in the fundamental nature of the cab.
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i agree regarding the scooped mids of the aggie cab
    i use an aguilar 112 with an swr electric blue head as a practice/small gig rig
    all of swr's tube preamps sound pretty much the same so i cant imagine the 500 sounding much different than the electric blue
    i really like the way the aguilar's beefed up low end rounds out the swr's sort of "sterile" tone
    it really makes for a full sounding and almost traditional sounding rig - which is quite something for using an swr head!!!
    also, the aguilar's horn isn't the most slicing and irritating i've heard, so it really mellows out the swr tone without sacrificing clarity - overall i give it a thumbs up :cool:
  4. Thanks guys. So you recommand it's ok..
  5. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    I used a SWR-400S through an Aguilar 112 on a recent recording session and it sounded really good, but that combo wasn't loud enough for anything but a really quiet gig
  6. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    My sentiment exactly! They need a lot of juice to really open up and sing... ;)
  7. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I agree! I use to run two gs112s with a bass 350 that was o.k., but now i run them with a stewart 1.2 (1200w into 4ohms), however running 700w into 8ohms (one gs112) seems to be more interesting that two?!?!? two is heavier and a little less punch, but not in a bad way for me!!!