1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is anyone using a Phat Phuk/Mercy Phuk to drive other pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Gonzo476, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Gonzo476

Gonzo476

Mar 1, 2009
    Madrid, Spain
    I'm currently using a Joyo Ultimate Drive to drive a Turbo Rat. I love the result, but the tone of the Joyo on its own is a bit too...generic (i.e. I find it lacks character) for my taste.

I'm looking for a low/mid-gain overdrive that would give a nice 'kick' to the Rat and sound nice on its own. I know the Phat Phuk is a boost, but I read here that some people had tweaked the internal trimpot until it became more of an overdrive. That's my intention if I finally get one.

Finally, I'm wondering whether the Mercy Phuk is more of a high gain overdrive. Any owners who can share their experience?

2. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Not tried the Mercy, but I find the Phat works better as a clean(ish) boost, it's overdrive doesn't sound great to me. I preferred the Earthquaker Speaker Cranker as a dirtier boost when comparing both side by side... But sounds like you would fare better with a low gain overdrive, so queue umpteen recommendations for the Fairfield Barbershop!

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    TC Spark Booster would be perfect for what you want. Been a while since I had the Mercy/Phat combo but I seem to remember the Phat losing some bottom end and the Mercy really needed to be cranked or driven by another pedal to do its thing right.

4. Earthquaker Devices Arrows is pretty much made to drive other dirts. I use mine to push my Rat Tail. Sounds pretty damn good if ya ask me.

5. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    I drive all of my pedals (except octaver) with Phat Phuk. Dirt wise, my phatty goes into W&C TFR and DG VMT. It's an always on tool, boosting my passive bass (PJ) signal a bit, and adding a bit of its character to my tone. I haven't noticed any loss of low end as mentioned above.

SirMjac28 and blindrabbit like this.
  6. Gonzo476

Gonzo476

Mar 1, 2009
    Madrid, Spain
    Hmmm...it seems the Phat/Mercy Phuk is not what I'm looking for...thank you for the suggestions so far.

I see some people have suggested boosters. I'm concerned about not getting enough grit out of them, just my clean signal at a higher level.

Any more suggestions?

7. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    The Phat Phuk B will give you some grit with your boost. The Spark Booster will give you more of a tubey overdrive, not what I would call grit...or it can do purely clean. It also gives you an EQ.

8. My Phat Phuk B pushes my entire chain, it is the first pedal my signal sees and I have it always on. I don't notice any low end loss, although maybe there could be a perception of that due to increased midrange nastiness (in a good way), but again this is not an issue IMO/IME. I have the external bias control, and yes, the pedal can get quite nasty if you want it to. I wouldn't mind having 2 or 3 of them set in different ways.

I think this can be the pedal that'll do the trick for you.

Not the Mercy Phuk though. That's a whole other beast.

mouthmw likes this.
  9. The Phat Phuk into the Barbershop sounds great. Drives it really well.

The PP isn't a clean boost, you can add dirt, but it also adds it's own colour. In this case that's a good thing IMO.

blindrabbit likes this.
  10. Gonzo476

Gonzo476

Mar 1, 2009
    Madrid, Spain
    Since I'm not really sure that the Phat Phuk or the Mercy Phuk are what I'm looking for and because I would probably have to buy them from a US shop, I've started a new thread considering two other pedals which have caught my attention and are easily available in Europe Erthquaker Speaker Cranker or Zvex Super Duper? | TalkBass.com

11. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    The Mercy has a ton of gain, although you can dial it down somewhat with the internal trim pot.

12. I also have this pedal and use it as a boost. It is excellent, I love it! It is a variant of the Speaker Cranker. I highly recommend the builder and the pedal.

Fifth Gear Overdrive - southampton  pedals

13. I have a Phat Phuk B, and a couple of Wren and Cuff's other dirt pedals (Pickle Pie B, Tall Font Russian). I find it works much better AFTER those pedals if stacking. Kicking it on gives a nice boost to the fuzz tone. Putting it in front of the fuzzes doesn't seem to work as well. YK/MMV.