Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is Ashdown Cheaper in the UK than in the US?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by James reeve5, Apr 30, 2003.

1. Are British made Ashdown amps cheaper in their native England than in the US?

Does ashdown have the same importing, and middleman fees applied to it like Glockenklang does when if I were to purchase one in the US?

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yes. Ashdown amps are way cheaper in EUrope.
    Mostly because US exports imply to change the whole power supply, and also because international trading is highly taxed.

3. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    In my investigations, I've found that you don't actually pay that much more for ashdown in the US. It pisses me off because we pay up to double for Ampeg etc.

4. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    Why? Aren't you happy for our overseas friends.:p

I bought my stuff ( hafler , dbx, and eden cab) for less than retail price in the u.s.a. .
    Exotic names like bergantino, aguilar, ea etc are 30-40% more expensive than in the U.S.A.
    But, I saw that prices are much higher in U.K. than for example in Germany (even Italy).

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes - Europe has VAT which adds to prices, but Britain is worse, because of the strong pound (sterling) - so most of Europe has the Euro and hence the "European" Market Price is going to be based around that - but as our currency is stronger we pay more!

6. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Actually, if our currency were stronger we'd pay less. But Sterling isn't all that strong anymore; since Christmas we've dropped from about 1.60 EUR/GBP to 1.43 EUR/GBP so prices of imported goods will go up.

Can you tell what my day gig is?

Alex

7. Bruce Lindfield

I don't think it's that straighforward or simple - so there is going to be a RRP set for the European Market - the classic case is new cars - where the strong pound has meant that it is much cheaper to go over to Holland or Germany and buy a car - even if it was made in the UK!!

8. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    IME the companies do not set an RRP for the European Market because the UK importer is often a completely independent entity which buys from abroad. Generally, if they're big enough they book forwards to cover their currency needs which allows them to fix the price out a year ahead so they can print catalogues etc.

A lot of my clients are smaller pro-audio importers (I'm working on getting Ashdown but they export so it's more complicated) and they just buy equipment whenever they're low on stock. So at the moment UK importers are getting stuff from the US for less than usual, but are paying more for gear from Europe. If the situation continues the prices will have to adjust because this variation can take a big chunk out of profit margins when it goes the wrong way.

Car companies are not really comparable to even the biggest audio companies because they're on such a different scale. They can set RRPs on a worldwide basis because their distributors are usually wholly owned subsidiaries and exchange rate variations are absorbed through intra-company treasury functions.

Alex

9. Bruce Lindfield

Well - we're not talking about importing as such, but rather things which are made here!!

Ashdown are British!

10. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    What would the going rate be for the RPM1 preamp in the U.K.?

11. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    About £400 (knats knacker over $600)

12. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I would feel better about buying one at that price. They're usually around $750.00 stateside. I lik4e it but $750.00 puts you in the range of a few other nice preamps that might be worth considering.