Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is BassPod noisy?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by hyoshim, Jan 3, 2005.

1. hyoshim

hyoshim Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I would like to know if the BassPod is noisy. I went to a different church (soon to be occupied by us) for our New Year service and used their house setup which included BassPod. They were using it as the DI/Preamp setup but it was very noisy. Since I have Cirrus 5, I don't think it was my bass (it is studio quiet). When we move into this facility I need to get DI/Preamp and BassPod seems not to be the right choice. Any recommendation (Sansamp?)

Thanks,

Hyo

2. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I have one and have used it as a preamp multiple times without a problem... It's never been noisy.

3. hyoshim

May 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Thanks,

Hmmm.. I'm now confused...

4. callofthebow

callofthebow

Oct 19, 2003
    Orlando, FL
    may want to make sure the battery in the cirrus isn't dying or dead

5. Samurai

Samurai

Sep 13, 2003
    California
    You should go try out a SansAmp Bass Driver DI. It is exactly what you are asking for, sounds amazing, and costs much less then the Bass POD which is definitely more for home recording.

6. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Depending on how you set it, it's either noisy or extremely quiet. There does not appear to be a setting for "acceptable bass volume without hiss."

I'll second the SansAmp as a better choice. Although, actually, I'd second a piece of conductive wire you tie your patch cables together with as a good alternative to Bass Pod.

7. hyoshim

May 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    "Although, actually, I'd second a piece of conductive wire you tie your patch cables together with as a good alternative to Bass Pod."

Need some explanation on this one please. I'm not getting it.

Hyo

8. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Say you have a Bass Pod in your signal chain.

So it goes bass -> cord -> Bass Pod -> cord -> amp.

If you remove the bass pod and just splice your two cords together, you'll likely have a better sound than if you left the Pod in.