1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is Behringer a good brand?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by loops84, Mar 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loops84

loops84

Feb 20, 2008
    I have posted a few times about this amp. I bought from some guy for 420 dollars. I wanted to know if this a good brand. I am thinking of adding another set of 4 10's to the ones I already have but I don't know if this a good brand or not. Any info from experienced users would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. jimbilly

jimbilly

Apr 19, 2006
    Good brand?, not really, they make several decent products and a boatload of crap, kind of like Peavey (or more like Peavey used to be). Regarding their speakers, the metal cones ones sound bad, the paper coned ones are pretty good, in my opinion.

3. RED5

RED5

Jan 14, 2008
    Suffolk County,NY
    There's alot of discussion here about Behringer, for and against. I've used the cabs to good end. Stay away from the metal cones the papers work well.

4. HEY. Leave Peavey out of this! :p

Seriously though, I LOVE my Peavey T Max head. It not only sounds great... I can literally throw it around, and expect it to work perfectly every time.

-Paul

5. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    If you already have a Behringer set-up, do you like it? That's all that counts.

6. loops84

loops84

Feb 20, 2008
    yea, I think I do. I just wanted to add to it but I don't know if I am wasting money on something that won't hold up. My guitarist uses 4 12's with a line6 head. I can barley hear myself on stage when we play. Sometimes it seems as if the cab/amp I use cuts out and I can't hear it at all. So, I figured I'll add to it to be a little more powerful.

7. $420 seems like a lot to pay for a used behringer

8. Except it sounds worse. And Peavey make some of the most reliable gear available at any price, where as Behringer stuff is notoriously unreliable. And the best of Peaveys stuff is as good as anything out there, where as the very best thing you can get from Behringer MIGHT be adequate for some people somewhere, until it breaks.

Not really all that alike at all.

9. I've played through Behringer equipment at rehersal studios in London.

Nothing I've hated the tone of, and nothing I've not been able to get a decent tone out of with a bit of tweaking :)

I don't think I'd buy Behringer unless I saw a STUPIDLY good deal, though.

10. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    +1. Diametric opposites.

11. Easy8

Easy8

Sep 5, 2007
    Austin, Tx
    I was looking for an inexpensive replacement head a few months ago at Guitar Center. The GK Backline 600 and Behringer BX450H were available and in the price range I could afford at the time.

The GC sales rep steered me away from the Behringer. He said they had a lot of quality issues and returns.

I was pleasantly suprised with the BL600 - great value, but found it to be underpowered for some of my needs.

Got a great deal on a used GK 1001RB II ($400 with rack case) and I'm loving it:bassist:

12. lewislngvw

lewislngvw

Aug 16, 2005
    longview,texas
    we use behringer monitors for our band......they sound great...but the more bass we push into them they dont sound so good....good for vocals and keyboard....lower notes are just ok....dont know if i would want them for my bass.....for the price i would look at avatar cabs.....i would put avatar against any cab in their price range.....i think you will find a lot of love for avatar around here.....mucho bang for the buck.......

13. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    +1 My Peavey Combo 115 has been through so musch crap. It has had MANY drinks spilled on it, and falls up to 4 feet! Maybe it's the fact that it's made in the U.S.A.

Anyway, I personally hate Berhinger. They are ok for little goof around amps, but other than that they suck.;)

14. I asked the guy at guitarcenter about Behringer amps and he told me to stay as far away from them as I can and that they would end up breaking down on me in a couple of weeks. Thats saying something coming from a salesman who is supposed to be selling anything he can! Other than that I wouldn't expect much from them compared to the higher end stuff I am already using. They are an entry level product so I presume that you will get what you pay for.

15. CraigG

CraigG

Mar 14, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I own one piece of Behringer equipment - a headphone distribution amp in my home studio and it has held up well for an $80 piece of equipment. However, I would not buy anything that was "mission critical", such as an amplifier, mixer, possibly even speaker cabinet with the Behringer name on it. A friend of mine owns a music store and he had some Behringer PA speakers set up in his PA room. One of them failed one of the first times he was demo-ing it for a customer. Just too risky based on all the negative publicity in real-world use that often follows the Behringer name.

16. To the OP: No.

17. naetog

naetog Supporting Member

May 26, 2006
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I had two of my aluminum cones split apart without much effort from me or my amp at the time. I had a bass V-amp that was pretty worthless too.

none of the behringer stuff i've used since has that "quality" feeling.

18. I have a 4500h. Been with me through thick and thin. Over 130 gigs and countless practices on it. It sounds like a 200 dollar amp should. Nothing stellar. But certainly not junk.

19. I guess it comes down to what your ears are happy with. I'm no fan of Behringer bass amps, but I have heard some sound OK.
    I'd recommend you try some other brands and see if you can A/B against the behringer stuff and make up your mind from there. It also depends on your budget. Behringer is by far some of the cheapest gear out there, but it's disposable stuff.
    Getting another behringer 410 will probably sort your volume problems, but theres plenty of other nice bass gear out there that will give you unbeleiveable tone in comparrison...at a cost, but it depends what you prefer.

Good luck anyways mate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.