1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is being a bassist a sign of genius?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by B Sus, Apr 29, 2009.

1. B Sus

B Sus

Mar 24, 2009
    Angleton, TX
    Saw this in a thread here, and couldn't help but marvel at how true it was.

I personally can set up and play every piece of gear for the band I'm in, and repair just about anything ailing said gear. I have to set up our gui****s gear for him at every gig we have, and I'm usually the one setting up and tearing down the drums (more or less because our drummer is always chasing tail rather than getting work done)

Anyone else think this is coincidental? Do the low frequencies tap into the 90% of the brain that people don't use?

2. fungihead

fungihead

May 24, 2007
    im no psychologist or anything, but im going to agree anyway :p

3. Vynns

Vynns Guest

May 5, 2008
    You're gonna get a lot of these: "Yes".

4. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Yeah, but I refuse to take that role. I saw I was becoming the 'PA guy' so I just spent more time setting up my rig. Now, everyone knows how to set it(the PA) up. I'm still the 'recording guy' and the ' Drum machine guy-(when needed)'. But I don't mind that.

5. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    My band's guitar player doesn't even know which frequencies are "bass", "midrange", or "treble." I have a general idea of how to EQ a band mix to fit the acoustics of a room. Guitar player scoops the mids out of vocals, guitar, bass, and even the MP3 player on his computer. :eyebrow: He just read the manual of his 1999 Mesa Boogie combo amp. I read manuals online before I buy products. He used a Digitech RP200 as his distortion and effects from the day he bought the Mesa Boogie until the day I finally stopped him and told him to use the tubes he paid for; something like eight years playing a $100 Digitech toy into a custom-made Mesa Boogie... :rollno:

He also has absolutely no knowledge of the technical side of musicality, and has little interest or respect for anything other than his personal favorite guitar players. I was classically trained on piano and saxophone for many years and learn many different styles of music. He doesn't "get" bass tone or technique. I can't get enough of either.

My band's drummer doesn't know anything either, but at least he keeps his mouth shut.

Uh...what's this thread about?

6. Vynns

Vynns Guest

May 5, 2008
    Well, actually, you're describing a gearhead. You're question is explained as being more like "Do bassist know more about equipment than the other bandmembers?".

I wouldn't know about low frequencies tapping into our brain like a brown note taps into your bowels (A grey note?), but in my band this is definitely true. I'm the only one getting into gear, and the only one getting GAS. Though that's hardly par for course I think, keeping in mind all these quitarists with Marshall fullstacks and stuff...

7. OK, I'm confused- who's the smart one again?

8. ^ YUP, I learned a LOOOONG time ago, what I call " The Columbo effect". I do not let on all that I know. I learned that if you let it be known that you can, and will do something, people will have no problem whatsoever letting you do it for them.

9. in my band, im the only one with any idea how to work anything when it comes to a PA or recording.

bass players are also the best producers, we see the big picture.

10. Hahah, i personally wouldn't do that. thats crazy.

also, yes, bassists are geinuses.

11. Otter

Otter

Dec 14, 2008
    Oregon (Southern)
    It's worse for me,

I'm a broadcast engineer and an IT professional......guess what I get "volunteered" for all the time! LOL My wife keeps threatening to purchase that tee shirt that says:

"No I won't fix your computer"

Otter.

12. I totally emot-spergin. sperg out over gear. Ohms, watts, hertz, if it's scientific and music-related I won't shut the hell up about it. I'm also the theory geek in my band.

13. rapturebass

rapturebass

Dec 6, 2008
    Connecticut
    Most Certainly. My bandmates didn't know what pickups were until i told them...:scowl:

14. If you were really a genius, you wouldn't have had to ask the question.

15. skeptikal

skeptikal

Jan 24, 2008
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Hahaha story of my life minus the broadcast engineer + wife thing.

16. Vynns

Vynns Guest

May 5, 2008
    ...So the story is that you're an IT professional?

17. thudfromafar

thudfromafar

Dec 12, 2007
    Chicago
    Genius? No.

Intelligence? Maybe...

Obsession? Probably.

18. B Sus

B Sus

Mar 24, 2009
    Angleton, TX
    I get it done so I can not have to worry about having something else to do, therefore not interrupting my time with the tail I chase. I've also contemplated stealing pieces of his set and not returning them, just to give him some incentive to take care of his crap.

19. BassLand

BassLand

Mar 20, 2000
    Lost Angeles
    Well, I can tell you this, It takes another bassist to really understand what you are doing (as a player). That suggests a higher plain of communication. I know a lot of bassists who are computer scientists. Other than that, I dunno...

20. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Nah. I'm dumb as bricks.