Is being sleep deprived really a bad thing?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matt Till, Dec 3, 2003.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I mean, lets say that

Ok hold on...

Alright, I know this guy... friend of a friend. His name is... Sanford. Sanford says to me the the the other day, I GOTTA STAY AWAKE! I gotta work on my photo projzects and I've gotta write C++ program. Yeah and Sanford, he spent a lot of time and effort write a musical score or soundtrakc is zz more like it for a movie. Sanford hasn't slept too much in the past 70 houurz. He's slept, but I'm worried about Sanford. He can't sleep tonight either, he's gotta do more programming. He finished his thing his soundtrack for his friend Larry's Movie. It's awesome, total boom snik snik boom kinda thing.

Sanford, he's starting to hallucinate but just a little, that might be because he can't keep his head steady. How long can Sanford stay up before problems occour. CAFFEEEENE is Sanfords friend as of late.

Sanford wants to procrastinate as well. He always does, but even in his sleep deprived state he knows that he can get his work done then get some lsepp, he just need s recreationn time for his braaaaaaaaaain.

"He he he he he he hehehehhha;l;lll. Words typed wrong are funny when," said Sanford.

:bawl: :bawl: :bawl:
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I hope not...well...I stay up till like 3 or 4 AM on average...but I wake up at I guess it balances out somewhat....hmmm

:bawl: :bawl:
  3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

What has me pissed is that I can't even begin this program I'm writing... I consdfljasdl;f <---- that's my attempt at writing confess!

I'm so sleepy. I would honestly pay someone to write this for me if I could find someone at this hour. I don't have any clue how to write it. So I'm pissed because I could have gave up before I started and went to bed at midnight... then I'd be fine, I would have caught up on my sleep, but here I sit, broken hearted, etc.
  4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Sorry to hear that matt, I'd help you out, or at least try and offer some advice, but my twitching eyelid is making it difficult to concentrate....hmm...maybe it is ADD!
  5. Matt, go get a good sleep and when you wake up, WORK. Don't come to TB or play bass. Work for a few hours. then do something else. then! WORK!

You'll find that everything will work out easier if your brain has it's potential! :)
  6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    OK, I've saned up a bit.

I can't sleep, I've got to work in the morning, then class. No time for naps, etc. I'll just give in and sleep more.

I've got this program now, I'm making sense of it, I was insanely tired a minute ago. I sat down in front of the book and said, "I'm figuring this **** out" and I'm doing it! Exciting. :D

I'll sleep so good when I get a chance, I'm looking forward to it so much. I might even get a "power nap" before work. Shhweet. :meh:

Ok, logging off... getting stuff done. Trying to maintain sanity.

But also, what are the affects of sleep deprivation because I've been pretty bad lately (wonder if that's why I'm always tired, inconsistincey of sleep schedule maybe/probably).
  7. It's 4:09 a.m., I can't sleep, and I've had my most productive posting session here in about a year. So, sleep deprivation isn't so bad. Check back with me in 6 hours when I roll into work..
  8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    HA! I kick ass.

I did my program. Sure it doesn't run, but I've got it damn close. I'll show it to the teacher, I'll make a change or two, and I'll turn it into her office before 3 tommorow and it won't even be late. I rule. Lets see now it's almost 5, I'll take a 15 minute shower, fall asleep about 5:30, wake up at about 9. Three and a half hours sleep, not bad! :bassist:

I'm going to be dragging my head off the ground tommorow. :(
  9. Clumsiness is probably the biggest con about not sleeping.

Your senses are also "dulled"; don't reliase what your doing, (i.e. buttering your hand...:p), *nothing* really makes sense at all...

Forgetting to indicate on the way to work. :eek: ;)
  10. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Sleep dep bad.

I used to pull all-nighters all the time in my first two years of university, and I paid for it big-time. After that I always made sure I got a good night's sleep and a good meal before an exam.

Longest I've ever gone without sleep was almost 72 hours. I was an incoherent zombie at that point.

Some research has been done on this - the furthest they got was four days, when major bodily systems started to shut down. :eek:
  11. well, i couldnt get to sleep last night until about 4, and i get up for school at 7...

so needless to say, today became a personal day :D
  12. on this famous disc jockey, i believe it was, from the 1950s or 60s. i forget his name.

anyhow, these psychologists wanted to do a study on sleep deprivation so they coerced him into doing a radio marathon of sorts, broadcasting live for the duration of the study.

after the third day, he was essentially begging to be let to sleep, but the shrinks said no [ooh. joe nerve is gonna love this one]. he went on for a fourth day, fifth day, then a sixth, and finally the seventh day, when the project was up. the before-and-after pics are astounding: he looked as though he'd aged about 20 years in 7 days.

the bigger deal was this: he slept for i think almost 48 hours, but upon waking, was irritable and irate. over the next few weeks, his personality changed dramatically. over the course of several months, he was an entirely different person. he quit his job and became a vagrant.

ultimately, he committed suicide.

all this has lead many sleep pros to say that sleep deprivation is horrifically bad for us, and can inflict long-term or permanent damage.

i can tell you that with manic depressives, if they are in the manic phase and don't get medication, they can [and often do] continue going on and on, without sleep, and generally succumb to heart attacks.

screw the program. get some sleep.

13. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

To me, "sleep deprivation" means going several nights without sleep - not hitting the sack late and getting up early one night, (that's nothing).

True sleep deprivation is a major reason why touring bands get nutzo, (this is first-hand experience for me). You check into the hotel, you go to the soundcheck, you fart around, you play, you party after the show, and then you check out of the hotel and get on the bus for the next town.

Drugs/uppers only work so long and make you even more neurotic as the nights and days seamlessly melt into each other. You don't know which city you're in or what day it is. Eating becomes too much of a chore and the lack of it screws up your body and mind even more. Whatever work you are doing, whether it's writing term papers or playing bass, suffers big time very soon.

Recently, I read about a drug in the "Wall Street Journal" for executives with families that ebabled them to function for 72 hours without sleep. The drug manufacturer has since given up on developing the drug further because it makes your mind a mess after a while.

Even though I never get to bed before 3am, I sleep to at least 8 or 9 am because I've learned Mother Nature knows best.

14. Clue me in on this, Rickman. Coz the only variable in there that sounds like it would contribute to sleep deprivation is the partying after the show, especially if it's done all nite long.

I always thought the touring life sounded kinda easy, actually. I mean, even if you're real big and bogged down with interviews and tv engagements, all ya really gotta do is make the soundcheck and play for two or three hours, no? I can't imagine that being so intense. To me, it's more difficult working an 8 or 10 hour job, then playing a gig, getting home at 2:00 and getting up at 6:00 for work again.

Seriously, give me the dynamic in detail, so I can see what I'm up against if we ever make it big.

Or at least get on the road...

15. rickbass

It can easily become a someone smiling at you with a knife behind their back, miko.

Unless the band really has it together, which I think more bands do thses days because they see it more as a pure business, a typical 24 hr. period went like this in my heyday, the late 70's, IME -

- Party, party, party, on the bus with girlfriends/boyfriends and hangers-on
    - Check into hotel and party
    - Go to soundcheck, meet with manager after they meet with promoter
    - Stay and dressing room/return to hotel and party - Show up for concert, party on the way there
    - Play
    - Party in dressing room after show while starving on hors d'oeuvres/buffet table of cheap food
    - Take selected few back to hotel to party after dressing room party
    - Hope no one puts anything in your drinks
    - Either "speed" on through or get awakened after 2 hours sleep to get back on bus for another city
    - Repeat all until you check in with doctor eventually

Hopefully, the manager makes sure you have clean clothes. Hopefully, none of your gear was stolen out of the truck at the previous night's show.

From what I've seen, I think today's bands have a much more of a businesslike approach today, which is a positive and a negative in some ways.
  16. sounds like a pretty fun routine to me! :D

i gotta say, we're definitely a party band in that we like our beer and other stuff, but we're all careful to stay sober pre-gig, just coz we're not 17 and we know it'll affect our performance and stamina. post-gig, though -- the sky's the limit.

i do hope we don't become one of those "all business" type bands. it misses the whole point of music. we try to be smart and strategic in how we promote ourselves, but it just wouldn't be as much fun without some of the rock'nroll indulgences. i personally think life on the road with good friends and good weed is a life well lived.

but maybe that's just the hunter s. thompson in me.

17. rickbass

The memories are long as the manager put your money in the bank!!!! It's a life not that many get to experience, for better or worse.

By the by, S. Thompson is one of my idols!
  18. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    first off - no, you can't die from sleep deprivation. If you start to notice large chunks of missing time and or begin staying up all night to make soap, then you may have a problem...
  19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Don't talk about...
  20. just wait till your arms turn red, and your heart pounds REAL soft. you'll start to see all sorts of crap. You WILL fall asleep after a while, uncontrolably. if done too often sleep deprivation can cause PERMANENT CLINICAL DEPRESSION. as well as memory loss. it can cause heart problems. it can make frostbite more probable..... all sorts of crap. DON'T DO IT.