Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is ****** better/harder then bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by silent method, May 17, 2005.

1. [rant]

People seem to come on here everyday and ask the same questions, is (guitar/synth/harp/sax/etc) better/harder then bass ....

Well here is your answer: It dosnt matter! :eek:

If you are only playing your instrument because it is "better" or "harder" then somthing else I ask you to take a look as to if you should even be playing at all. Music IMO is the art of self expression it is a way in which people show others what is inside of them, what makes them tick and how we are feeling. It can speak volumes about an individual, it can offer light of how we think, feel and perseive our enviroment. When I play bass I try to protray my emotion and love for my instrument. I try to share the fire that burns within my soul. I try to show you who I am.

I do not play my instrument because I think it will get me chicks, or because I think I will be able to impress my bestfriend. I play it when I feel a need to express. It is an outlet for me. It is a need more then a desire. I live to play bass and I live BECAUSE I play bass. So the next time you think about starting a new thread "Is bass harder then guitar" think about if it really matter? If that is why you are playing your instrument I ask you to set it aiside for a while and see if you should really even be playing at all.

[/rant]

:bag:

2. I see that Synth thread really got to you. :)

But ya, +1

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Is ****** better/harder then bass?

Short answer... yes, ****** is better, if ****** is what you need. If bass is what you need, bass is better.

If girlfriend is what you need....

:bassist:

As far as "harder", that depends on what you can wrap your mind around. For example, drums could be the most natural thing or completely perplexing to a new player.

BTW when I play I try to have fun. What others think of my instrument is inconsequential.

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Yes, bass is wicked easy. We are the lowest of musicians, if you can even call a bass guitar player that. Jaco, Manring, all those guys who are our leaders are nothing compared even to Rikki Rockett on the drums, or Phil Collins when he picks up a guitar, or Shakira with whatever shes shakin'. Mmmm Shakira.... anyway, live with it.

Really, who cares?

5. I would agree with your rant completely! But somethign happened the other night that made me smile, My sister and i have been showing my cousin how to do simple guitar riff, and chords and such and then one day he asked me to show him some bass stuff because he has always liked the bass, so i spent about an hour, hour and a half with him, and at the end he turned to me and said ' I think i will be a guitarist, its much easier' lmao! i just couldn't stop smiling! I knew it wasn't just my teaching that he couldn't take because i was showing him guitar aswell.

6. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    ****** is a little harder for me, 'cause my fingers are so darn big. They don't navigate very well on a small fingerboard. But give me a nice 35" scale, and I feel right at home. :)

Ever heard the Frank Zappa record "Sleep Dirt"? There's a beautiful guitar duet on there, that ends in a massive f*ck-up, and then one of the players says, "my fingers got stuck".

That's me. :D

7. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    That's because people are stupid. Actually ignorant is more accurate. It's hard to play any instrument with expression, control, finesse, creativity and musicality. Just wanna crank out notes with no concern about tone/time/feel? Well, then yeah...they're all easy.

8. Psyrcle

Psyrcle Guest

Speak for yourself. Those guys couldn't lead me to a orgy if I had 10 wangs.

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'd just like to say, that the piano is harder than the bass.

10. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Ill say I agree with your sentiments. I hate it when people say something is easier than something else, especially with no knowledge of the contrast in question.

When I first started playing, there were 3 of us that started at the same time. Me on bass, one on guitar, one on drums. The guitarist, no matter how much I improved, or even sometimes showed him up in the skill department, would always say something to the effect of well "bass is easier than guitar" or "that looks easy". Nothing pissed me off more than some jerk who wouldnt practice, and then dismissed my hard work by saying my craft was easy or easier than his.

No instrument is really any easier than another. If you have innate musical talent, maybe they will all be easy to YOU. Whats easy to you may be damn near impossible to someone else though. Never compare apples and oranges, it only makes you look silly and uninformed. Marcus pretty much hit the nail on the head there.

Any instrument can be easy if you dont care, and any instrument can be played with so much complexity you may not be able to get your head around it if the player so chooses. I think there are masters and mediocrity on any instrument, anywhere in the world.

11. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    No instruments is harder than another...

i mean, try play 4th on a triangle in the speed of 45bpm or something, or try playing 32th at 120bpm...

it's as hard as you make it...

12. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    I have always looked at it like this for any instrument! Its ok to think that you might be good. But if you think that you r great then you still probably suck! And ever notice its the people that think they r great that say this kinda crap?

13. pklima

pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Actually, I consistently advise anyone who asks to never, ever take up guitar. No matter how much your heart is in it, how talented you are etc. There are too many guitarists already. Bass or drums are the easiest/best/most useful instruments when it comes to getting gigs. Guitar probably isn't quite as bad as trombone but close...

Artistic merit and self-expression do not interest me. Neither does money. I'm only in it for fun.

14. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    When you compare how difficult a instrument is to another, you have to master them to say something is easier right?
    But can you really master anything...

15. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Well, bass is definitely easier than Chapman Stick. I've had a Stick for forever and a half and I STILL can't play the damned thing competently enough to perform on it.

But then again, I still haven't decided if the Stick is really an instrument, or just a REALLY elaborate practical joke by the inventor, yet.

16. wow i am suprised to see that so many of you guys agree with me. thanks for the support!

17. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Agreed. Just as annoying as the "is bass harder" are the infamous "I need a bass solo to learn to make my guitarist eat his words" and the classic, "My guitarist made fun of bass today, my confidence and identity are completely shattered, so tell me my instrument is hard to play."

18. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    [loud whisper]

I was making a sarcastic comment with that whole rant, so I used a commonality appropriate for many, not all, but very many, bassists.

[loud whisper off]

If I had 10 wangs I surely wouldn't waste any time playing bass.

19. ****** is harder. Trust me.

20. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm on the who cares train. I use to go to these jam parties with friends. A drummer and I were jamming, and everyone was loving it... it was so weird... just bass and drums.... well I was doin' some funky stuff and the drummer is... a few steps away from being a god... but anyhoo. I guess while I was playing, this hardcore bassist was walking around the party telling everyone how I was OK, but he was much better.... because I wasn't playing fast stuff (shredding). Later he played my bass (with permission) and jammed with an awful drummer. People were telling me what he said, "He says he's better than you." And I just shrugged and said, "Meh, he probably is..."

Music isn't a sport, you don't win or lose. Music is an artform, not everyone loves sculpture or oil paints or printmaking, why should everyone love bass? It's our medium.