Is BGRA officially dead?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Dr. PhunkyPants, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    I used to look go to BGRA over Harmony-Central for user reviews. But ever since the change-over to the "improved" format, I've barely touched it. I just can't make any sense out of it. When I look a the dates on postings, only a handful are new.

Anyone else have this experience?
  2. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    I've noticed that too. I'm saddened, because I too used it over Harmony Central. Some reviews on HC seem like fakes to me. Maybe the administrator has no time for it anymore?
  3. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Supposedly it's not going to affect anything, but Harmony Central was recently bought by Musician's Friend.
  4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    So Guitar Center owns HarmonyCentral?

If they have most of their employees write shill reviews, we're all in trouble...

Think Hartke, Brownsville and Carlo Robelli gear will get any good reviews (I believe Sam Ash owns Samson (Hartke) and Brownsville and Carlo Robelli seem to be house brands...)
  5. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    Well, there you go. Say goodbye to impartial reviews. I think that sucks!
  6. "This is the best guitar I've ever played." :rollno:

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I think review sites have limited shelf lives.

BGRA was all but down during the messy format change (not the owner's fault, it had to do with the new software rev being incompatible with a lot of the old review data) which affected the rate of submissions.

Over time, a lot of gear has been reviewed multiple times there anyway and many of the reviews are just puff (mine are all great, of course :D ).
  8. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    You mean like the 11 pages of reviews under "Gibson Les Paul Standard" on Harmony Central?

Sorry to mention g*****s, just making a point.
  9. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Speaking for myself, I disregarded most of the reviews because they are almost always about new purchases. The honeymoon phase. I always LOVE my stuff when I first buy it. Gig with it for two years, then ask me how I feel about it, the good and the bad. It changes. More objective when the honeymoon is over.

And a "best cab ever" stuff means nothing when the only previous cab the guy used was a small Crate . . . .