1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is blacktop jazz bass a good choise for funk rock?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Freaky_Styley, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Freaky_Styley

Freaky_Styley

Jun 8, 2014
    I'm planning to buy a jazz bass soon but i'm not really sure about which one to buy. I love blacktop jazz bass a lot but it has p style (split coil) pickups which are used with precision basses. I wonder if that one would be a good choise to play some funk stuff and doing some slapping. I want to play a lot of rhcp songs and other than that i will be playing some hard rock and metal songs too. I am looking forward to here your recommendations about which one shall i buy.

2. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I like the blacktop stuff - inventive and a bit modern take on older designs. I think it would be fine for funk and the like

3. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    Heh heh a quick glance at the title said " is Blacktop Jazz Bass good for Chinese funk rock " ? A little closer focus cleared that up. New Genres all the time I guess ! :roflmao::roflmao:

4. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    That's a matter of taste in tone...

I would prefer a Jazz bass with the stock 2-Jazz bass-style pickups. That's the Marcus Miller-type tone. Although you may want to try something different...

I also REALLY prefer the Music Man Sting Ray tone (Louis Johnson, "We are family", Sister Sledge, Sade, Roxy "Get off"). Had to throw that in there for some reason...:roflmao:

Freaky_Styley likes this.
  5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The Blacktop Jazz has a great slap tone. Remember that some soapbars like those on MTDs are pretty much split pickups in a case, and most of us think MTDs have a great slap tone .

Freaky_Styley and .BumeStik. like this.
  6. Stock blacktop Jazz basses with dual P p-ups are awesome! I kind of want to swap my Modern Player Jazz body for a Blacktop Jazz body!

7. Love the MM tone too! Actually, when slapped, the Blacktop Jazz sounds more like a Marcus Miller '70s jazz bass than a Jazz Bass with the regular '60s pickup spacing. The poles on the treble side have a '70s spacing.