Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is Bob Glaub for me?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heretic, Jun 21, 2005.

1. It's new bass time. I've had my eye on the Lakland Skyline BG because 1) its beautiful and 2) all I've seen are good reviews. Could someone please describe the tone? I'm looking for something warm/mellow. I like to play alot of Sabbath and Opeth (especially the damnation & Blackwater Park albums). Is it for me?

BTW I won't be able to try it out first as I live in the middle of nowhere.

THANKS

2. Call me crazy, but I bet dollar to donuts that it sounds like a P bass. a "warm" p bass. :)

3. Geezer has been using a Glaub lately, if that says anything to you.

4. I think I'm pretty much sold on it. I've read every thread with the word "glaub" in it :D I just can't decide on a color/pickgaurd combo. I'm stuck between 3 tone sunburst/red tort gaurd/rosewood neck and candy apple red/black gaurd/rosewood neck. I'm assuming that the pickgaurd is the standard P type, right?

5. The tone is all in the oval bridge.

6. FYI. New from the factory the only available colors are burst and black. CAR was discontinued. I see used ones for sale from time to time though.

Jeff

7. Why yes it is! :smug:

8. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, DR Strings, Fender, Source Audio & Fishman
    Gaulbs are great. I want one so I don't have to take my '64 or '69 Fender Precisions out. Great rock tone.

9. Yeah I'm planning on used but who knows. Black with tort is just as sexy :hyper:

10. Yes it is! I have a burst/tort/RW Skyline Glaub on order right now. It's sitting in Chicago awaiting a Darkstar installation.

Jeff

11. PLEASE post pics and a review when you get it. I've been staring at the ones on bass central for hours :help:

12. Will do. I'm hoping to get it sometime in July once they are done installing the pickup.

13. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    My skyline Glaub strung BEAD w/ Chromes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The P-bass was the end to my tone quest. As to how the Glaub compares to other P's I can't really say. I had a MIM P before this that was obviously inferior. I've played the American Fender P's in the store but since it was on an unfamiliar amp I can't really judge.

I ordered it through Bass Central (thanks Gard) and they ordered it direct from Lakland (it hadn't been monkeypawed to death ala GC). Lakland was even cool enough to make the BEAD modification for me and put on the strings I wanted.

14. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Only thing with a Glaub is that it has a flatter fingerboard that a standard P. If you want something with a more curved board, then you might want to get something else.

15. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

Good point Jive1. It also has vintage (thinner) frets which equals less of a "clack" when you fret the string. Unfortunately if you use rounds this means the frets will wear quicker. You should be using flats anyways ;) .

16. Actually, all I use is flats, I hate that clack noise that comes with them and I perfer flatter fingerboards. It just keeps getting better! I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with the sunburst/tort combo.

ZoomBoy, just out of curiosity, why are you having the pups changed?

17. I want something different. So I'm getting one of these installed:

http://www.hammoneng.com/

18. KYJazzy

KYJazzy

Nov 10, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    Question: what do you mean by that? flatter as in less concave (making for super low action), or flatter as in... well what do you mean? :D :confused:

19. alright... more questions:

Does it accept standard P pickgaurds (Fender type)?
    Can you string through the brige instead of the body?

and a really stupid one:

Is it pronounced lake land or lack land?

20. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

#1 Don't know about the pickguards, but you can probably order a new one through Jeannies if Fender ones don't fit.

#2 Yes, you can string it through the bridge -- dual access bridge is standard.

It's "Lake"land. Long A. You'll see the bar above the A on the logo.

You might want to check out the website: www.lakland.com for cool pictures and details:Glaub page on Lakland site

Also, check out the Dude's Lakland web forum. You can get quick answers to your questions there:Dude's Lakland forum

I'd be really jealous, but my DJ5 w/J-retro should finally be shipping next week! :hyper: