1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is Boss Katana 100w combo/head with bass cab a good idea ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tinko, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Boss Katana 100w combo with bass cabinet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Boss Katana 100w head with guitar cabinet and bass cabinet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Decent Guitar and Bass amps (with no effects onboard) and Boss GT-100 multieffects pedal

66.7%
  4. Boss GT-100 multieffects pedal with guitar and bass cabinet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other (explain in the comments)

33.3%
  1. Tinko

Tinko

Jan 20, 2021
    I now have Fender Mustang 1 and I want to upgrade in the future. I looked at different amps and the Boss Katana 100 combo is the one that stuck. Now here's the thing: I want to buy a bass in the future too. Can you connect a bass cab to the katana 100w combo through rec out / line out so that the main speaker turns off ? If not is it a good idea to buy the katana 100w head and plug a bass cab with it ?

If I get a katana 100w head I'd need to get 1 guitar cab and 1 bass cab

If it's not a good idea to mix the katana with a bass cab I thought to get decent both guitar and bass amps without effects and buy a multieffects pedal (Boss GT-100) to use with them. I want to have various effects for the bass too since I'm a huge Cliff Burton fan and I want to play simular like him and experiment with different effects. Also Is it possible to plug the boss gt-100 directly into bass/guitar cabinet?

Fell free to recommend other setup options and please tell me what works and what doesen't work, because I don't have much experience with amps.

I don't want to spend a lot of money on analog effects and pedalboards, so I'll either buy a Modeling amp (Boss Katana 100w + the GA-FC and expression pedal) with bass (and guitar if I buy the head) cabinets or decent guitar and bass amps without any effects on them and a multieffects pedal (boss gt-100)

2. I'd double check the manual but I don't think the Katana 100 combo is designed to use an extension speaker.

The head should work fine though. Most people are going to tell you a guitar amp is less than ideal for bass but it may not be too bad depending on what you're doing with it. If you're going to be playing live or with a band I'd recommend a bass amp but if you're playing at home your setup should be fine. I have a Katana 50 combo coming on Monday and can let you know my thoughts when running a bass through it for practicing.

The GT-100 is a good multi pedal. The newest series of Zoom multis are also very good and quite affordable.

3. There is no Speaker Out from the Katana to easily use a bass cab.
    It would require you unhooking the internal speaker and making a cable and other monkeying around.
    These modifications will void your warranty.

basscooker likes this.
  4. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    IDK about the pedal for sure, but no reason to believe it cant be used with both bass and guitar. Is there maybe a "b" t100 pedal? Probably better to go that way if so.

Certainly the most logical answer is dedicated, purpose-built combos (or heads/cabs, but budget) for guitar and bass.

But one thing you may not have considered; the main reason guitar stuff isnt great for bass is the speakers. Bass combos won't be affected negatively by guitar use, provided that either there is no tweeter or the tweeter can be turned off. A good bass combo would do alright for guitar with the pedal.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  5. Tinko

Tinko

Jan 20, 2021
    yeah that makes sense

6. Tinko

Tinko

Jan 20, 2021
    Yeah you're right. Most people told me that mixing guitar head with bass cab will sound bad. I mostly play at home for now. Someone recommended me this kind of setup . The Line6 POD GO seems to have a lot more quality for the price. It also uses the same technology as the line6 helix (which costs double the price). The speaker is active

7. Tinko

Tinko

Jan 20, 2021
    Someone recommended me this kind of setup:

. The Line6 POD GO seems to have a lot more quality for the price. It also uses the same technology as the line6 helix (which costs double the price). The speaker is active

8. That would work. That's pretty much what I use in my office but I bought a set of studio monitors hooked to the PC instead of routing to a PA speaker like that. Either way should be fine for playing at home though.

9. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan DNA Endorsing Artist Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    First thing you need to realize is that the requirements for a guitar amp and a bass amp are wildly different. Whereas a 100-watt guitar amp is usually more than enough to make a guitar scream at very high volumes, it takes about 8 times as much power to get a bass to that same level of volume. It takes a LOT more power to reproduce the low notes that a bass guitar will hit. You know those Marshall stacks that you used to see in concert all the time are typically 100-watt amps. And 100-watts through a Marshall half-stack (either a 410 or 412 cab) will all but make your ears bleed.

I personally have an 800-watt amp that I can drive through either a DNS-210 cab or a DNS-410 cab (I'm a member of DNA's Endorsing artist group) and not worry about getting buried by such nonsense. But it's very nice and very expensive gear and it took me a long time to work up to this level. Early on in my musical career (1971 to be exact) I found my self being buried by guitar and keys and had to buy an amp with 4 times as much power as I previously had to prevent that from happening again. So you're always going to have to have a lot more power than 100-watts if you want to play gigs. 100-watt is fine for bedroom and small venues, but that's it.

Now, if you want to go the other way around, very often bass rigs sound just fine with guitars running through them as long as they have a decent tweeter. But bass rigs very rarely have built in effects. So you're probably better off get the effects separately and using them through your effects loop in a "no-effects" bass amp than trying to buy a guitar amp with lots of effects and trying to run your bass through it. And if someone tries to tell you an open back guitar cab will handle bass just fine, smile and walk away...:rollno:

Tinko likes this.
  10. Tinko

Tinko

Jan 20, 2021
    wow thanks for the advice dude. I asked the same question on a couple of forums at the same time and more and more people say that the best choice would be to get multiFX pedal (line6 pod go) and connect it directly into an active FRFR speaker. Something like this:

. I didn't know about FRFR speakers, but now that I informed myself, it really seems like the best choice if I want to play both bass and guitar. The line6 pod go has amp sims that work very well with FRFR speakers.

11. Just means a PA top.
    They do not go as low as most bass cabs (there is a reason they are used with a subwoofer with a full band) but will work for most situations and if you do not push to lows too much.

Rip Van Dan likes this.
  12. Tinko

Tinko

Jan 20, 2021
    In the description oc the Headrush FRFR -12 it says that there's one 12" speaker and one 4" high treble speaker. It says that the speaker is specially for modeling amps and multieffects. Since the line 6 pod go has good cab and amp simulators, the speaker seems to sound good.(see this video) when he turns the cab sim it sounds weird on itself

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 18, 2021