1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is Boss SE 70 any good for bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by banebass, Oct 3, 2009.

1. banebass

banebass

Jun 4, 2009
    Zemun,Serbia,Europe
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    There's a Boss SE 70 selling for 200€ (about 290$). Is that ok price for 15years old fx? And is it any good for live use with bass? Which foot controller works best with it?
    Does anyone here uses Boss SE 70 live?
    I'm just starting using fx and I had in mind Korg AX3000B multi,so opinions about Korg AX3000B vs. Boss SE 70 are more than welcome! :help:
    Thanks everyone!:D

2. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    im not sure about the boss unit, but i have the korg AX3000b and am absolutely in love with it. i have a vintage mutron, and consider the filter on the AX3000b closer to the real thing than anything else i've heard. the chorus on there sounds just as good as my analogman mini, the phases are great, the flange is my favorite flange ive ever heard. i cant rave enough about that unit. the suboctave is perfect too, the reverbs and delays are really great..i can go all day..

if i were you, i'd rather explore the ax3000b more rather than buy another unit.

3. banebass

banebass

Jun 4, 2009
    Zemun,Serbia,Europe
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    Thanks! I don't have AX3000b,but I'm very interested in buying one. Just wanted some opinions about Korg AX3000B and Boss SE 70.

4. tommy.genes

tommy.genes

Feb 16, 2006
    Yo! Philly
    I used an SE-70 for a few years and remember the following points:

1. I didn't find the distortions especially "organic" on bass, although the SE-70 was prized by industrial/techno guys for its distortion if that is the sound you are going for. Having EQ after the distortion is a plus for bass for regaining low end.

2. I really didn't like the filters on bass, mainly because there weren't enough adjustable parameters to tailor them to bass.

3. All the other stuff, chorus/flange, phaser, ring mod, reverbs, harmonizers etc. were truly pro quality. Even the synth sounds were fun and worked pretty well.

4. It is a rack-mount device with MIDI control, so it will not be as easy to use as an ax3000b that already has a built-in foot pedal. The 127-step limit of MIDI CC control resulted in noticeable stair-stepping when adjusting some parameters via MIDI.

5. There is a significant period of silence when switching patches, which is a BIG problem for live performance.

For the above reasons and others, I've gone back to individual pedals live, but I still keep the SE-70 around for home recording. Seeing that they're still selling for that much, I'm glad I did.

-- T. G. --

5. Wud

Wud

Apr 11, 2009
    I've had my SE-70 since they first came out (15 years eh...that makes me feel old !)
    I still use it in the studio often, but haven't tried it on Bass for a long time.
    It's capable of some crazy sounds, having soo many effect algo's to combine.

6. Where abouts are you? In the UK, I would say that is well overpriced- you can pick up a VF-1 (the model that followed the SE-70) for around £100 (approx €130?) on eBay. Might be different elsewhere in Europe though.

7. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    SE-70? the rack multi-effect? I'll let you know if I have one at my job...it's been sitting in my used case forever ._.'

8. topcat2069

topcat2069

Dec 2, 2007
    Palm Springs
    I used the SE-50 and the SE-70 for everything in the studio and live (w/Bass)

I'm using the GT-10B now ..... it's just so much easier to program and use on stage... I did look at the Korg but I found a deal on the Boss... I just recommend the floor units....

9. EskimoBassist

EskimoBassist

Nov 2, 2007
    Leeds, UK
    KORG AX3000B IS AMAZING!

10. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Oops, it's an SE-50... if you want it... ;)

11. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    my 2cents worth is "go for the Boss GT-10B", just the parallel effects chain alone make this thing quite powerful. Use up to 5 E.Q's at once, loads of effects and filters...
    Atleast try one in a shop.. :)