1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

is buy used, really QUALITY bass good investment??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kubs, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Kubs

Kubs

Jul 26, 2006
    Prague
    Hi another question :D
    DOu you think that put money on used bass from quality luthier is good investment ?
    I know that new bass from luthier is not "good investment" (used price is on 1/2 of new....at least at our country....)
    But used?? You can get really good instrument (far worth than some series made basses on same price) and price of this used can stand or may grow.....Am I right or its so "fantasmagoric" imagine ???
    You know I have some money and Im not sure what to do with them ( or i have no wisdom reason to spent them) so I think about to put them on used luthier Stingray....Its from really excelent czech luthier (Marcus guitars has for example Billy GIbbons) so it should keeps its price for years...
    Its better to throw away money for small amounts pleasures(you know unnecessary thinks like stomboxes or pub bills :D or restaurants invites with girlfriend :D or any thousand reason for which you can throw away money) , or put them to bass and have them there like in bank :D
    If this question makes you laugh tell it to me and I delete it but i think it should be interesting discusion about use instrument like a bank (old GOOD instruments extremely)
    Or DO YOU KEEP YOUR IN MIND THAT IF YOULL BE IN MONEY - LACK SITUATION YOU CAN SOLD YOUR LESS NECESSARY BASS???:bassist:

2. BSR6P-Bob

BSR6P-Bob Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Yes.

3. alanbass1

alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    London
    In the main yes, but the problem with small quantity Luthier's instruments is that many fall out of fasion (for want of a better word) and therefore can stagnate or even go down in value. I remember when JayDee basses were going for over $3000 second hand ten years ago and now can be had for $1500. These are still great basses but never seemed to remain 'in fasion'.

The better investment is to put the money into a known 'classic' bass that is not over optimistic on the asking price. As an example, a good clean and original pre EB Stingray should set you back between $1400 and $2000 - and would be a sure bet to appreciate over the years. If you can afford it, a Pre CBS Fender will always be an investment as long as you are not paying over the current market value - and even then I'm not sure that these aren't good investments over the long haul. I remember turning my nose up (in 1988) on an all original 1964 Jazz bass in excellent condition as I thought the $900 asking price was too steep! Heck, I even laughed in 1999 when a friend of mine purchased an all original 1957 strat in really nice condition for $14000 - now look who's laughing.

Many people will tell you that you can get much better quality/playing/sounding basses for the sort of money these classic basses are going for, but you question was one of investment rather than bang for buck.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 24, 2021