Is buying a DB750 worth it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by him666, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Right now i have a Peavey T Max and a Aguilar GS212. I'm thinking of replacing my T-Max with an Aguilar DB750. Does it really make a step forward? I mean can you really hear a $1500 difference?
    I'm not sure, i also would like to buy a Rickenbacker bass. But I'm a student so i have to make choices. Right now i have a Stingray5 and a Rickenbacker bass sounds much different.
    When I'm going to record an album with my band, most listeners won't hear I'm using an Aguilar amp, but they will hear difference between a Stingray or a Rickenbacker..
    Can anyone give some advice?
    Thanks in advance.
  2. Have you done extensive comparisons of the amps out there and then decided on the DB750, or is it based on reviews, etc.?

If so, here's my take... it would be a step up... amazing amp if that's the sound you like... big, fat and tube-like. However, it's also very large, as you know very expensive, and very heavy. If you've played it and like it above all others (as many TBers do), then go for it. But... make sure you play the Eden, SWR, (and EA, Thunderfunk if you can) etc. stuff too... also a big step up and much smaller, lighter and less expensive.
  3. Well I haven't got the change to try it. Sometimes i wish i would live in the USA.. A DB750 is like $1500 dollars used in the USA. And a DB750 cost $3500 new in Holland(where i live). So if I buy it at for example i always can sell it in Holland without losing money..
  4. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I really like aguilar products in general. Great company, great people, great product. However I really always recommend playing before paying. What kind of gear do you have access to in the netherlands? Try those out. Go to as well and listen to the DB659. Although the DB659 does sound different than the DB750, it's about as close as you're gonna get to hearing a DB750 without playing it yourself or watching someone you know play a DB750. My 2 cents. I agree with KJUNG that there are other alternatives that are great as well that you should consider if you've never played any of them. Basstasters (although different than hearing something live and having yourself play) is a good place to start for hearing the inherent sound of most pre-amps, amps, speakers, and basses.
  5. ted13

Mar 12, 2004
    montreal quebec
    OK, i realize this will go against everything we all believe here on TB. but, after recently attending some concerts and revamping my own rig numerous times i have realized that it really doesn't matter. good tone comes from so many variables and possibly mostly from things you can't buy, your hands and your brain. if you have a underpowered amp buy a better one or more speakers. if you want beter tone try practicing and maybe some new strings. amps amplify what starts in your head then goes to your hands to the strings and into the bass. it is real easy to make any amp sound bad, if the forementioned things (brain, hands, strings, and bass) aren't getting you what your looking for already. Let me just state here that i have owned many amps and yes they do sound different. But all of them sounded bad if i wasn't into the groove of the song or if i was trying to get a real modern tone from some dead rusty strings for example. the reason i say this is that i went to go see System of a down and mars volta the other night. mars voltas bass player is a great bass player, but in the staduim with a huge PA he could have been playing a 100$ bass direct and it wouldn't have made a difference to the crowd. the sound was terrible. guitar sounded fine but bass just just that, a low droning sound. i guess what i am getting at is not to get caught up in the hype that you NEED an amazing amp. if you can afford it and not sacrifice your lifestyle to get one then for sure go for it. awesome bass gear is a thrill for sure. but, there are so many things that affect your TONE and that there are many ways to sound really good without dropping thousands of dollars on an amp that that makes you not be able to afford new strings or time to practice because your working double shifts to be able to pay for it.

that being said they are great amps and will be very fulfilling for you to set up in your bassment and enjoy the wonderful sound. in a loud rehearsal space or on a live stage might not make such a noticable difference.

good luck, Ted
  6. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Speak the truth my low end brother! :smug: I shouldn't talk though, my basement has more bass gear than my local music store.....
  7. Rumblebee

Rumblebee Guest

Mar 16, 2005
    I totally agree with ted13. However, I just wanted to throw in, that if you're intent on buying something, go for the bass you want over the amp (though I definitely wouldn't buy an instrument without playing it first). Simply, my advice is: between the bass you want most in the world and the amp that you want most in the world, go for the bass. If you don't like the feel of the bass that you play, no amp's gonna change that. I hope that made sense...
  8. Yeah, well Ted made a good point. Anyway i really like the Rick sound, but in my band i use the Low B much. And the most common Rick has mostly 4 strings. And i don't play with a pick, so maybe its hard for me to get that real rick sound.. Anyway thanks for the answers so far.
  9. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I don't know, is it? ;)

10. What was said earlier was correct. If you really want the Aguilar (hell I even want one), go for it, especially if you have the money. But no amp will give you magical tone. It is gonna come from your hands. I can get my little $250 ashdown combo to have a pretty similar tone tone as my $1600 Genz Benz/SWR setup (though not nearly as loud of course). Its in the hands and the bass. Go with the new bass before you get a nicer amp.
  11. sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    I will let you know soon. I have this one coming in next week.

I will playing through it through my Berg NV610.
  12. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    ! That's what I'm talking about!

Review please! :D
  13. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    Awesome combo!
  14. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Ted is so rignt!! However, we all have more gear than we NEED. I am an aguilar addict. I have a DB359, DB680, DB728, AG500SC, GS 410 and 2 GS112s and of course a DB924 and OBP-3 in one of my basses (I'm seeking help now! :D ). Oddly enough, the only amp I don't have is the DB750. The 750 is a monster. Lots of power and clean tone. I don't have it because I prefer the tone of the all tube sound. Is there that much difference?? Not really... If you are practicing at a reasonable volume, the sound is great, especially the 359. Which is one of my favorite amps of all time.

What the 750 gives you is a quicker response (because of the solid state design of the power amp)which makes it punchier than the others. It's a great sound and it could be the only amp you ever need for everything you do. I would recommend it if you can get it. After I do some house remodeling, I'll save for a 750 and probably sell a few things!!

What's it worth to ya'
  15. sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    I will get one out as soon as I can. I am so looking forward to getting this amp.

It should sound great through the Berg 610.

From what I read here on TB, the response of the amp is impressive. The Berg should emphasize that quality.

I am also digging the orange calzone case that comes with it. :hyper:

I also have a Schroeder 1010 4 ohm cab. I wonder how that would sound with Berg 610?
  16. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    oh my...

IMHO, one of my more FAV aguilar rigs is the 750 mated to a GS212. fat, thick fundamental w/ a weighty hefty feel. you'll literally cry at how good it sounds.
  17. Andy Will

Andy Will

Apr 11, 2003
    London, England
    Hey man, You should head over to Nijmegen and try it out at Paul's Bass Matters. All the Aguilar heads are normally in stock there to test out and Paul's product knowledge is superb! The only real way of knowing if it's worth the money is to play it for a while, but I was personally blown away by the sound and sheer power! :hyper:
    I bought mine there along with two GS210 cabs and got a great deal. The only disappointing thing is that I have only had the chance to gig it once so far, so can't wait to use it again (too loud for in my apartment)!!!!! :crying:

18. Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    The DB750 is actaully the only amp I would conider replacing my all tube tarce head with. It's that good.
  19. I'm really diggin' mine. I've used it on the last four gigs and it's been great.

The last gig being this past Thrusday was the only slightly disappointing experience. I have used the DB750 exclusivley with my Accugroove El Whappo 'btw'.
    This was a big hotel with a segment stage raised about 2ft. The room was fairly good with not too much echo since there was carpet and not to many windows etc. I was suprised how I had a hard time getting clear defintion on the low notes. The drummer said he had a hard time hearing me. I tried lowering the bass tone and it helped some. Just didn't seem to have the usual punch/clairity I've had on the other three gigs one being outside too. Must have been the room and some cancelation going on. Anyway it sounded real good tonewise, just couldn't tighten it up for definition... weird. I'm not a 'tweaker' but probably could have benefited from some type of semi-para eq to cut some 30hz or there about. Oh well..still say there is not PERFECT rig. This one is close though.

Got another gig tonight in a smaller room... must experiment more. The DB750 does take a little getting used too and it's not the tweaker's dream, but the tone is fantabulous just flat :D .
  20. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I replaced all of my tube amps with the 750. I use it with a Whappo Jr. and an NV425. I really don't think I will ever need another amp. Well, maybe I want a Thunderfunk as a backup.