Is buying from online classifieds safe?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by basss, Sep 4, 2002.

1. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    I've been eyeing some gear at some of the online classified listings. Just wondering if this is safe. I don't know if I would feel comfortable sending money to a stranger and hoping he/she sends the gear. Anyone have experience with this- good or bad? Any advice on how to be safe doing this?
  2. Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    i bought some gear from the talkbass classified section. it was a great transaction, nothing at all to complain about. i would suggest communicating with the person (preferably on the phone) you want to buy from and go from there. if you don't feel comfortable, don't buy it...

3. mthoople

Nov 1, 2001
    Denver, CO
    I've bought and sold multiple items on the H-C classifieds, and have never had a problem.

The bottom line: protect yourself. Get a phone number and call to work out details (a phone number is easier to trace to an individual if something goes wrong). Have the seller send you picture or scan of his/her drivers license (again, tracable). Send payment by certified mail (eliminates the "But I never recieved the check" excuse). If you're still not comfortable, use an escrow service.

It costs money to reduce risk, so weigh the additional cost against the potential loss.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well the simple answer has to be no! There is a huge amount of fraud going on out there and you may be lucky, you may not!

So - 150 people could come on and say, I 've done it 50 times and it has been completely hassle-free - but then you personally still get ripped off or lose your money!

Nothing is a 100% "safe"!!

Credit cards are a good way of making it safer, as you don't pay, for up to a month after the transaction and most cards include protection, whereby the bank won't pay up if you alert them in good time that you haven;t received the goods.

My personal view is that if I sent cash or a cheque to a stranger in the post, I might as well be throwing it down the drain ansd wouldn't expect to see it again or anything from it! :(
  5. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I've only bought and sold over the TB classifieds and haven't had any problems. But that's just my experience. All the other advice hear has been very sound.
  6. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I bought on the TB classifieds from an established forum member. Great transaction, no problems at all. He was nothing but helpful. I wouldn't trust the HC classifieds one bit. If it wasn't on TB, and from who it was, I probalby wouldn't have bought it.